Virgin Media Engineer - gawd bless em

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the metallic chassis of the box, is connected to the outer braid of the coax cable feeding it.. which in turn goes back to a pit or cabinet feeding every other house also connected to the outer braid via the splitters / taps.
the metallic chassis of the box is isolated from the coax feeding it...

I must have a fault with my box then, just put a multimeter on the coax connector, and the back of my TiVo box which is metal and multimeter started bleeping to show continuity.

now I know they are supposed to be isolated, will call an engineer to replace the box.

2 solutions i found.

1: as a virgin engineer (HA!) said, turn up the backlight. fine, except that messes with the picture quality, and increases energy usage.

2: find a floppy disc, and cut a piece of the internal floppy plastic, to the same size and shape as the receiver on the box, and stick it on with tape or somesuch (regular old clear tape works well) over the receiver. this filter all but the ir light.

had this problem myself, suffice to say most of the virgin engineers are NOT well trained. i once had to explain the difference between a switch and a router...... to a BROADBAND TECHNICIAN! :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
2 solutions i found.

1: as a virgin engineer (HA!) said, turn up the backlight. fine, except that messes with the picture quality, and increases energy usage.

2: find a floppy disc, and cut a piece of the internal floppy plastic, to the same size and shape as the receiver on the box, and stick it on with tape or somesuch (regular old clear tape works well) over the receiver. this filter all but the ir light.

had this problem myself, suffice to say most of the virgin engineers are NOT well trained. i once had to explain the difference between a switch and a router...... to a BROADBAND TECHNICIAN! :facepalm:
:slap :slap :slap :slap

A router is a device that forwards data packets along networks !

A network switch or switching hub is a computer networking device that links network segments or network devices!

View attachment 4688