Weird cables - Swapping Mains Fire Smoke Alarm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aico all the way. Their products are good and their customer service is great. Only ever had 1 issue and that was a faulty base unit. Swapped quickly and left working perfectly.

I won't say never but I have not yet been called back to an Aico alarm problem.

ok all very valid points and I appreciate the advice I really do. Would you mind advising based on my requirements below on what specific devices and where to get them from ideally to get the best deal as there's a fair amount I'm looking for:

A system in which IF one goes off, they all go off so we can hear them. Especially with the separate gym/garage....

Also hooks up to an app and I get notifications IF it were to go off?

I have converted the garage into a gym, fully insulated and watertight which has a loft space and this garage is about 10m away. It has a router ethernet running in there and wifi
I would like to put a smoke detector in (main gym ceiling) there, in the main gym area (5mx5m) on the ceiling. I "could" get mains to it but was banking on battery here.
I was thinking of installing a smoke detector in the loft of the gym too as an extra precaution but again "was" thinking of battery.... but.... I guess I could get the electrician to run mains to it maybe

Replace Hallway (mains) smoke detector with a new mains one
Replace Landing (mains) smoke detector with a new mains one

Fit new one in Main house Loft - no mains available
Fit new one in Kitchen - no mains available
Fit new one in three bedrooms - no mains available

So a fair amount of units in an ideal configuration.

ok all very valid points and I appreciate the advice I really do. Would you mind advising based on my requirements below on what specific devices and where to get them from ideally to get the best deal as there's a fair amount I'm looking for:
You may get a deal from a wholesaler on the amount you need
A system in which IF one goes off, they all go off so we can hear them. Especially with the separate gym/garage....
Given the distance between the gym / garage and the house wireless interlinking may be difficult
Also hooks up to an app and I get notifications IF it were to go off?
You don't need an app the sounders are all the notification you need to know if it is going off
I have converted the garage into a gym, fully insulated and watertight which has a loft space and this garage is about 10m away. It has a router ethernet running in there and wifi
I would like to put a smoke detector in (main gym ceiling) there, in the main gym area (5mx5m) on the ceiling. I "could" get mains to it but was banking on battery here.
I was thinking of installing a smoke detector in the loft of the gym too as an extra precaution but again "was" thinking of battery.... but.... I guess I could get the electrician to run mains to it maybe

Replace Hallway (mains) smoke detector with a new mains one
Replace Landing (mains) smoke detector with a new mains one

Fit new one in Main house Loft - no mains available
Fit new one in Kitchen - no mains available
Fit new one in three bedrooms - no mains available

So a fair amount of units in an ideal configuration.
What fire RA have you done to warrant this many detectors or is this an HMO
Smoke detectors can be problematic in lofts if there is alot of dust
The problem with trying to advise what is needed off a list like you have provided / presented is there may be unseen issues that may affect the efficacy of the system and therefore compromise the safety of any persons in the building
With the approach you have to fire safety I'm surprised that you make no mention of CO detectors which is likely to be a greater risk than a fire

Latest posts