What am I?!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen

Reaction score
Hiya, I've just completed Levels 2+3 2330 and last night passed the 17th edition. What am I? When ppl ask what it means, I actually don't know! Please help!

How have you completed these. College or fast track ? And are you going to do nvq3 + am2 and 2391. Are you working in industry at the moment. And welcome to the forum btw :)

Hiya, I've just completed Levels 2+3 2330 and last night passed the 17th edition. What am I? When ppl ask what it means, I actually don't know! Please help!
Human would be my reply. ROTFWL

Welcome to the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably either an 'electrical improver' or an 'electricians mate' , what ever title you feel suits your experience/knowlege/job role more closely. If you have just done fast track then the 'what am I' answer is probably 'on the dole'

An inexperienced student with some qualifications is probably correct. Passing any examination does not make anyone anything. Just as passing a physics exam does not make you a physicist or passing a French exam does not make you a linguist or translator. A completely inexperience person who has good memory and can read could probably pass quite few electrical exams.

Doc H.

Behave yourselves, Guys - You have probably frightened the life out of her now. :(

Wow, thanks for the welcomes. Been on here for just overa year but can't log on on phome with olddetalis but on pc can't find this thread or profile :mad: Had traumas all day!

I did 2 years, 2 eves a week. Started fitting cctv's to buses. Not quite sure whbt to do now though as can't find placement for nvq. Thinking maybe hnc in construction studies.

Can't post pic m4tty, it wont let me!

And thanks admin, wondered what was goin on! Lol.

I thought passing exams makes you competent in the theory of a subject? So what does makes an electrician? How can you precisely determine that you are an electrician?

I thought passing exams makes you competent in the theory of a subject? So what does makes an electrician? How can you precisely determine that you are an electrician?
Unfortunately a lot of modern exams are passed after people have been taught exam technique, (how to pass an exam) rather than a subject. This is not restricted to the electrical industry, as training colleges are rated on their exam pass marks, they gear the teaching to show students how to pass instead of teaching the subject to equip someone to work in the industry. Long hand written exams give a clearer measure of a persons understanding of a topic, but unfortunately multi-choice short question exams can be passed by a combination of memorising answers after doing sample papers, a bit of exam passing technique, a bit of pot luck and a little bit of genuine understanding for a few of the questions. A more realistic test of someones understanding of a subject would be achieved by not doing any sample papers before hand, just teach and learn BS7671 as we are all aware of the number of repeated questions on the actual exams and sample papers. Just because someone can memorise the answer to XYZ is 'A' for a tick box, does not mean they can actually explain why xyz=a. I think Steptoes favorite EAWR regulation 16, whilst not mentioning the word electrician is as good a definition as you need. Where it refers to knowledge and experience. The C&G exams when taught well contribute toward the knowledge part.

Doc H.

I do agree with you as to regards of written papers. But it's not the pupils fault if they have been designed that way, we can only apply our selves to what's been laid out in front of us. It's also down to the individual to take on there own responsibility to learn outside of collage times too, I know my friends say they wing it but personally I don't I'm passionate about it and always will be so I study through as much material as I can whilst learning on here from people like your self. If the industry was not in such a bad state would you all be taking on apprentices to contribute to the survival of standards that you have all have worked so hard for? is it true that you only get smarter by playing a smarter player. And practise makes perfect! How is this industry going to survive if it has a mass of people that had the passion to try and be the best but no one to teach them?

People who genuinely care about the survival of this industry will take on apprentices to teach them all they know. Some people complain about the standards of practise but will not take on the responsibility of teaching someone as its far too expensive to take the time to teach, than rush rush rush its all about the money.

I agree there's too much "let's smash the work out get payed and go home as early as poss" mentalities, completely the wrong attitude IMO. People seem to be interested in what they are doing later rather than doing a good and proper job!