What cable or converted do I need for this MR16 7W spotlight in my bathroom? UK

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenpxtrick

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a DIY and electrical noob just so you're away. Just moved into a new flat and one of the bulbs in the bathroom is not working. Pulled the other one out to inspect and will post some images below. From what I gather it's a MR16 7W bulb, it also says keylamp CCFL on there too. The main query is the way it's connected which is a black wire from the bulb which has the two prongs which goes into a black socket of another wire that then leads into the unknown. I've been searching and try my local wickes but have yet to find a suitable answer to my problem so any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Images posted here:

can you rotate the bulb at all? (in either direction?)
I probably should've made it clearer but the pics in the photo is a working bulb, the other socket I have is what I need to replace but I only have the wire that is coming out of the socket (last pic) so need to find a bulb + wire that would plug into this.

The bulb suggests its a nasty "bulky" CFL - can you remove the bulb to confirm this?

And post a photo of what you are describing?
I'm sure the bulb/ lamp will just pull/twist out.
Hi so should've mentioned this but the photo with the bulb is the existing one but im trying to replace the other empty socket. But I did try to screw/pull out the bulb and it doesnt, seems to have come like this. but the bulb is fine its the other one I need to replace, this video might help more:

Good video BUT doesn't give all the information.

I don't recognise the fitting

So if you take a working unit down, can you remove the bulb from it AND what happened to the unit you are trying to replace?

I can remove the bulb by disconnecting the wire and no idea what happened to the bulb in the unit I was trying to replace, just moved in a week ago. IU believe I need some wiring connector that will take a MR16 bulb and make it useful for this black connector.

From the way those fittings are connected I would suggest they are some sort of plug and play DIY downlight pack from one of the DIY sheds

Hi guys, so I pulled out the other one and took a pic as theres a driver that connected between the actual wiring and the bulb which looked like this:
View attachment 16121

I believe this driver is not working and have found this one to replace it:
https://www.onbuy.com/gb/p/led-driv...dab-and-wifi~p7494840/?exta=gshp&extac=gshpfa
Would this driver work ? and would it be ok with this bulb that I bought:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08K325KPP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Why don’t you take the opportunity to replace the ballast transformer and lamp to mains operated GU10 LED lamps. No transformer to go wrong in the future and future proof your home for when they discontinue CCFL lamps

Why don’t you take the opportunity to replace the ballast transformer and lamp to mains operated GU10 LED lamps. No transformer to go wrong in the future and future proof your home for when they discontinue CCFL lamps
Hmm right I could do just not so sure how to haha, I see the GU10 lamp lights online but they don't seem to indicate how to wire that directly into the main electricals?

Thanks for all your help all, I ended up getting a GU10 + lamp holder and connecting directly into mains and it worked like a charm! So bright as well. I'm on holiday but when I get back I'll just buy a junction box to put it into for safety but really thank you all for your support on this one ! :)