What can I say

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robojin

Reaction score
My son is buying his first flat, so asked if I could look over the electrics

Over all looked good, apart from a few additions after the install

Outside light supplied by a piece of orange garden tool flex trailing down inside the room plugged into an RCD protected socket

The supply flex to the boiler was tucked behind the hot flow/return

outside front flood supplied by T&E, ok not that unusual in DIY as we know, however this was fitted with a 13a plug, but at least on the RCD circuit, this was the bit I could not figure

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/robojin/IMG_2879a.jpg

I guess it was to much trouble after testing?, to install to the appropriate lenght

If a lamp fitting has a steel cable to take the strain of the shade would it be best to use it not the flex http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/robojin/IMG_2888a.jpg

I guess not, at this stage note the nice shinny ceiling fitting

Now it's at this point as I recall Sandra admitting once, making an assumption about the installation of a fitting, I think the picture says it all on many counts, all I'll say is enjoy I went a bit pale according to my son ; -) who under colourful instruction turned of the MCB

Trust me you wont believe it

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/robojin/IMG_2870a.jpg

the other fitting in the room was identical, I am stunned that obvious faults had never occurred

Even Badger would not claim I'd followed him around on this one

As I had only my test gear with me all I could do was wrap some insulaton tape over the ends to reduce the risk, and warn the Estate Agent (he was not that concerned)

For the non electricians who may view this

the installer had stripped out the insulated parts from a plastic ceiling rose

1) Permanent live, terminated in a non insulated terminal - EXPOSED LIVE PARTS

2) Switched live, as above - EXPOSED LIVE PARTS

3) Neutral, as above

4) All of the above free to touch each other - RISK OF FIRE

5) All of the above free to touch the metal decorative fitting, which in turn was connected to the steel strain wire, in turn connected to the lamp holder that would be grasped when changing a blown lamp - RISK TO LIFE

6) CPC (Earth) present but not connected to the fitting - DISCONNECTED SAFETY CIRCUIT

And I bet the installer was well pleased with him/herself when it worked not thinking of the dangers they had just created. Some people

I can't believe anyone could be that stupid?!
i can. easily. its quite scary how often i find stuff like that when changing lights etc.

only the other day i found something similar... however, its 'enclosure' was a lowered ceiling!

That is what it is all about GH - PHOTOS. Everyone can say they have had it or have saw worse.

Get the pics on here and then we can HELP to educate the general public. If they choose to continue and not heed our warnings, then that is upto them. :(

Is it RCD protected?? if so I don't see a problem??

:innocent ;) :coat

I've seen that done before, but always the bodger put tape around the bare terminals.

But the tape was so old it had lost it's stick and just unwound and fell off as toon as the light fitting was removed.

"Let's replace the light with one of those fancy ones from B&Q. No need to call an electrician, it's only a couple of wires!!"

It's the old classic. Probably seen more of these than any other DIY bodge.

Latest posts