What is this and how does it work?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plum_24

Reaction score
Hi all. So I've moved into a new house via a repossession so can't ask old owner anything and estate agents don't know either. My problem is ignorance I'm afraid. I think I have underfloor heating installed. The estate agent said so. There is a fuse in every room. I've turned them all on but nothing has happened. It's soo cold and I'm panicking about winter coming. Before getting an electrician out I was hoping to get it going myself. Esp if it's something simple..... I cannot find a thermostat anywhere for it . The house has no other central heating !!. I have found odd fuses with dials on them tho. Thanks for taking the time to read this silly woman's post. 

Hi there. Could you have a look at your consumer unit and see if any of the circuits are marked "underfloor heating" or something similar? 

Yes I've done so. There is an odd looking fuse with lights and dials on it. I'm sure it's some sort of control but I can't find anything even remotely similar on Google which is why I thought I'd ask here. Unfortunately I don't have any option to attach files at the mo. Guess I'm too new .

Probably need a bit more detail, sounds like it had panel heater or storage heaters and maybe someone added UFH???

Wait for an admin to upgrade you then you can uploads pictures, that would help.

It's to stop spammers BTW.

Probably need a bit more detail, sounds like it had panel heater or storage heaters and maybe someone added UFH???

Wait for an admin to upgrade you then you can uploads pictures, that would help.

It's to stop spammers BTW.
It appears I now can attach a file but only 0.49mb in size. Even lowest camera setting gives too many MB at present.  Thanks everyone for your fast replies. I will persevere til I can find a way to get a photo on. Til then I don't want to waste anyone's time. X 

I use Photoscape (free download) for re sizing pictures. (and it will rotate them)

Those two units with dials look likely to be what controls the heating. The right hand one (when viewed the right way up) has a green light on it that I think means the heater is on.  but with no manufacturer or model number it's going to be hard to find an instruction manual.

The MCB to the left of them (again when viewed the right way up) is turned off. Turn it on and see if that helps (up is on)

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically both units are saying it is night time, one is on (the one with the green light off) and the other is saying it is on.

Both are saying the floor temperature is set around 50C.

So something should be warm.

but with no manufacturer or model number it's going to be hard to find an instruction manual.

Check the post above. ;)

So sorry its upside down but at least I managed to resize it.

Have you got a picture of the units in the rooms?

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically both units are saying it is night time, one is on (the one with the green light off) and the other is saying it is on.

Both are saying the floor temperature is set around 50C.

So something should be warm.

Check the post above. ;)

Have you got a picture of the units in the rooms?
Didn't see that post, sorry.

Now you have the manual.  Turn that MCB on, and wait until the morning and see if it heats up overnight during the cheap rate.

Those 2 contactors look like they are turned off so maybe the MCB is for the control circuit? You might hear a clunk as you turn the MCB on.

Thank you so much everyone. I shall try all suggestions and post back tomorrow. I'm bowled over by everyone's kindness in replying thankyou x

This system uses the floor as a storage heater, so I am guessing there's a big slab of concrete under there, so it will take some time to warm up and it will then hold it's heat for a while, so don't expect it to instantly feel warm.