What way would you do it

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkayelectrical

Reaction score
Ok I know there's a few ways,

What way would you sort this?

Consumer unit being a 15m run from the Meter? I've all ways run a swa but what way do you do it?

Laurence

It would rather depend upon the cable run....

Underground?

Domestic loft?

Industrial unit?

External wall?

Between floors?

Cable Tray?

etc...

etc...

What is the max load?

Is a 16mm T&E big enough?

Not enough info Me thinks?

:C

Theres a new installation method now ...Method 82 ,,The Steptoe Method...............

Overground

Underground

or Wombling Free!!

An update to the 17th will be available soon with a chapter on the Wombling Free method .

Bit more info needed to give any advice of any worth

Have you thought of asking the electrickery board to move the substation closer to the db then you wouldn't have this dilemma ?

I once asked that very question and the man said that was an option and he would think about it before putting the phone down

I should chase him up on that as that was in 1984 so it's obviously trickier than I thought!:eek:

if its the ground floor floor boards id probably run armoured under board due to damp areas etc, but if in floor boards / ceiling first floor or loft on bungalow id run tails plus earth and tape them all together.

if its the ground floor floor boards id probably run armoured under board due to damp areas etc, but if in floor boards / ceiling first floor or loft on bungalow id run tails plus earth and tape them all together.
Would you fuse it down any more? Was thinking of just running a 25mm swa accross

Thanks will check the fuse size Wednesday Realy need to read up on these regs as keep getting told about the tails max 3m

i believe the 3m is the distance of cable from the meter the dno say their fuse will protect beyond that requires your own protection, may be wrong tho.

Thats generally the rule of thumb Jono. Some DNO,s are different , some don't give a stuff TBH, their problems stop at the meter.
Thought as much really usually stick a s/w fuse by the meter then im covered either way personally.

Put a switched fused 3m or less fro

The main fuse.

If TT then I would put a 100ma time delayed rcd in. Or just use the time delayed rcd.

If not ran in safe zones ect and not in conduit or trunking then rcd is needed if its not SWA