whatprice.co.uk

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive changed more fuse boxes than i can remember, most only take half a day, maybe a little more. Certainly never had a late day changing a fuse box. All tets are carried out and certificates issued. I charge around

As much as I admire your thorough work, when I price to change a CU, I price to change a CU, not carry out a PIR and full correction of remedial works. Any faults found that require fixing are charged as an extra, not included in my price. I dont carry out any more than a Ze / Zs check and an inspection of the main earth bonding prior to carrying out the job. In my opinion you are making more work for yourselfs. I make it very clear in my tenders what is and is not included, if faults are found that cause the new CU to trip then it is extra money to fault find them. It rarely takesme more than 30 mins to an hour though to sort out issues like that. As long as I dont leave anything in a condition that is less safe than it was before I carried out the job, it can wait to be fixed when the client agrees to pay for it.
+1

I wouldn't dream of testing before I had won the job. A visual of the property, inside of the board and main bonding is all I do. I don't think it is good business to carry out prior testing, if you find a fault before you've even got the job the customer is going to think you are milking it for more work and will end up with some cowboy who probably won't do any testing at all and if he finds a fault puts it on a non RCD circuit. If I find any faults while testing after installation, then the circuit is disconnected and a further price agreed for remedial work. Obviously, I make all this clear to the client before the job.

I agree, you're working for free if you dont win the job. Its not always possible to knock of power to test.

I have a quote sheet i go through. Zs test on a few sockets, test for continuity between passed socket earth and screws at light switch or metal light fitting. (check for lighting earth, i have a lead i made up)

then check bonding mains etc.

Would always be nice to do a full PIR before board change, i know lot of people on here do.

+1I wouldn't dream of testing before I had won the job. A visual of the property, inside of the board and main bonding is all I do. I don't think it is good business to carry out prior testing, if you find a fault before you've even got the job the customer is going to think you are milking it for more work and will end up with some cowboy who probably won't do any testing at all and if he finds a fault puts it on a non RCD circuit. If I find any faults while testing after installation, then the circuit is disconnected and a further price agreed for remedial work. Obviously, I make all this clear to the client before the job.
What non RCD circuit?

What non RCD circuit?
Plenty of pre assembled dual RCD CU's have non RCD protected ways.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:33 ----------

I used a CED one last week from toolstation. Dual RCD 12 way 5 + 5 + 2 non protected ways. I used a non protected way for the alarm spur.

Plenty of pre assembled dual RCD CU's have non RCD protected ways.---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:33 ----------

I used a CED one last week from toolstation. Dual RCD 12 way 5 + 5 + 2 non protected ways. I used a non protected way for the alarm spur.
Toolstation:tongue in cheek quality stuff!

CED, what can I say if your happy with that, but you would never find one of those badged imports on one of my jobs

What non RCD circuit?
any High Integrity board, almost all the boards I fit are HI, for the RCBO to the outside socket, or the MCB feeding the SWA to the garage, different situations require different boards, and OCPDs.

See now, I buy a board and configure it the way I want it, NOT the way is is shipped!

I find the "standard" configurations very limiting.

Just another example of me not working to 7671 I suppose!...

Again.

See now, I buy a board and configure it the way I want it, NOT the way is is shipped!I find the "standard" configurations very limiting.

Just another example of me not working to 7671 I suppose!...

Again.
I have recently used a load of '16th' single RCD boards and put RCBOs in them or added another RCD to them for all dual RCD boards.

work was going to dump them cos one of the guys said they were out of date.... WTF,

yet another one of the 17th rubbish sayings, like the part P qualified rubbish that people keep saying,

non existent things that people have made up to make money.

any High Integrity board, almost all the boards I fit are HI, for the RCBO to the outside socket, or the MCB feeding the SWA to the garage, different situations require different boards, and OCPDs.
I'm aware of the different board configurations, I was merely trying to understand what the posters ideas were in his hypothetical cowboy sparky scenario.

I'm aware of the different board configurations, I was merely trying to understand what the posters ideas were in his hypothetical cowboy sparky scenario.
Simply, that if you are that way inclined it would be simple to ensure no tripping after installation. Two I recently came accross were a 4 way wylex CU installed in 2006. It had 8 individual circuits in it, all shoved in one way or another (including 4 x 2.5mm in one way) and no RCD at all. Another had a piece of 6mm connected in with the neutral tail to a hanging choc block and connected in with the circuit neutral. This was on a split load board with no RCD ways, so they had done it to get around the tripping. The first customer would not accept that the job needed redoing, and the second didn't take up my quote for the remedial work. They seemed fine with the fact that it 'worked ok' despite my explanation of the situation.

Toolstation quality stuff!CED, what can I say if your happy with that, but you would never find one of those badged imports on one of my jobs
Toolstation was local to the job and the customer (a builder) supplied the CU. He went against my recommendation of an MK board, which they also sell.

Latest posts