whats the difference?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks batty,

Im a fluke man myself but am needing a new tester with phase rotation and at this current time really cant stretch to a fluke, all pennies count and all that.

Why not go to the Metrel site and download the info for both and compare them to see what the difference is, like the comparison chart for Fluke 1651, 1652 and 1653.

Steps,

Welcome back, hope the honeymoon is not over too soon!

Stick with the Fluke buddy!

Why do you need an expensive phase rotation tester?

My Kew volt probe does this quite well, this I never use my 1653 for this!

Just power the motor up and if it goes the wrong way swap the outer 2 phases! :^O

Paul

Im pretty rubbish at that sort of thing, and kinda wanted to know if someone had a real world opinion on what the difference might be,

not just a box not ticked.

http://www.test-meter.co.uk/products/17th-edition-test-meters/17th-edition-multifunction-installation-testers/metrel-mi3100-eurotest-easi-17th-edition-tester/

http://www.test-meter.co.uk/products/17th-edition-test-meters/17th-edition-multifunction-installation-testers/metrel-mi3002-eurotest-dl-multifunction-tester/

apart from a 100 quid if someone can give me a real difference Id be grateful.

thanks Paul, do some works that have to have ALL test gear calibrated, and phase rotation must be proved before they will allow the motor to be energised,(would actually be sometimes a disaster if it ran backwards) for computerised stuff.

my fluke is needing calibrated soon anyways so thought about a few quid saved if I buy now.

Steps,

IF the motor is connected to a servo drive with feedback then the drive will not allow the motor to run in reverse!

Trust me I used to work for a servo drive manufacturer ondesign, applications & service!

I have to get all my test gear calibrated too as I am the PDH, QS & the only competent electrical person in my co.!

HOWEVER, phase rotation does not come under the calibration routine!

My Kew does fine & my NICEIC area eng had no problems with it.

I'd argue the point probably anyway, even though he is a good guy and has certain areas of competence above mine we are pretty on par on most things, and I am more qualified in certain areas than he is!

Paul

had another look and it seems its only a memory issue on the two meters.

Paul, its a multinational company and they simply wont accept any test kit or certs that are not accompanied by relevant paperwork, and that means proving the motor runs the right way before its energised, to shut down a machine means the whole network through Europe must be informed(so Im told) so they can only shut down and power up when the computer allows it. something to do with having a particular barcode in a particular bay at a given time, its a distribution centre.

Looking at the data in the links it seems the main difference is that the MI3002 can save your test results in the machine and then download them later into some computer software.

(Quote- 'The MI3002 is also the most cost effective Multifunction Tester on the UK market that still comes with free software for downloading your inspection and testing results. All test results can be saved and referenced on thie unit while working on-site, and can then be downloaded into the Metrel Eurolink PRO Software that comes supplied Free with this tester. The Metrel Eurolink enables the user to download the test data, create a simple report or export the measured data onto a spreadsheet).

The other difference it says the MI3002 has a pass/fail screen for fuses

(Quote - 'The New Eurotest MI3002DL features unique "Pass/Fail" screen with tables for fuse characteristics which allow for Pass/Fail evaluation of loop readings according to regulations.')

Hope this helps you:put the kettle on

Steps,

Disconnect the mechanical output to the motor whack in the contactor manually to check dir. Simples!!!

;)

Wrong way, swap the phases and couple up, right way, couple up.

default_good%20luck.gif

Paul

Looking at the data in the links it seems the main difference is that the MI3002 can save your test results in the machine and then download them later into some computer software. (Quote- 'The MI3002 is also the most cost effective Multifunction Tester on the UK market that still comes with free software for downloading your inspection and testing results. All test results can be saved and referenced on thie unit while working on-site, and can then be downloaded into the Metrel Eurolink PRO Software that comes supplied Free with this tester. The Metrel Eurolink enables the user to download the test data, create a simple report or export the measured data onto a spreadsheet).

The other difference it says the MI3002 has a pass/fail screen for fuses

(Quote - 'The New Eurotest MI3002DL features unique "Pass/Fail" screen with tables for fuse characteristics which allow for Pass/Fail evaluation of loop readings according to regulations.')

Hope this helps you:put the kettle on
thanks mikel, agrees with what I could work out,

Hello there Steps....

I anit got a blooming clue about your question...

BUT I do know you been away from the forum toooo long...

Welcome back m8! :x :Applaud

Good to see your name back up on the posters list....

;)

Hows the family??? ?:|

All well I hope...

AND the official MRS STEPTOE?

:D ;)

GuinnessGuinness

thanks Paul, do some works that have to have ALL test gear calibrated, and phase rotation must be proved before they will allow the motor to be energised,(would actually be sometimes a disaster if it ran backwards) for computerised stuff.my fluke is needing calibrated soon anyways so thought about a few quid saved if I buy now.
You may get the phase rotation right for the mains but it can depend upon whether the coils of the motor have been connected correctly, as already suggested disconnect the drive side of the motor and run up to see if the motor is going the right direction.

Hello there Steps....I anit got a blooming clue about your question...

BUT I do know you been away from the forum toooo long...

Welcome back m8! :x :Applaud

Good to see your name back up on the posters list....

;)

Hows the family??? ?:|

All well I hope...

AND the official MRS STEPTOE?

:D ;)

GuinnessGuinness
thanks, we are good, didnt realise things changed so much once she got me there, :_|

You may get the phase rotation right for the mains but it can depend upon whether the coils of the motor have been connected correctly, as already suggested disconnect the drive side of the motor and run up to see if the motor is going the right direction.
I know, but as I said previously, I cant even have a dump in this place unless I have the correct paperwork, so there is NO way I would be allowed to touch the drive gear, and as long as I prove rotation then its down to the motor guys to sort out the problems. the other issue is that the motor wont actually run until the computer tells it to, I just supply the feed to a panel. anyhows, looks like Ive gone for the cheaper option, I dont need all the downloading thingymygig stuff, I have problems switching this on, never mind anything else.

Im the same, some of my work only permits me to install mains supplies, and as long as i leave them with the rotation the right way my job is done

Its then down to the next guy, normally the one whos commisions the machine, to sort out everything else

So as long as my supply is right, my job is done

Out of both of them I would go for the Mi3100.

I like the hard case that they come with. Same one as they use with the Flir cameras and MOD i think, so they're tough! Saying that though if your on a budget and arn't fussed about downloading test results the MI3000 is cheap as! and ISS do it at the momment with a free Clapm and tip commander I think: http://isswww.co.uk/17th-Edition-Testers/Alphatek-Metrel/