When do you stop answering the phone ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subneural

Reaction score
My mobile has just gone off at half five on a Saturday night from a customer I replaced a CU for back in May.

When do you guys normally stop answering the phone ?

If you don't want people to call you, you could always turn your phone off;) ;)

However that way you could miss out on work..

My phone is on 24/7, if someone calls then I'll answer it but it will cost them if they want me to go out after normal working hours! --- I advertise 24hr call out, and rarely have any call outs

it depends who it is take yesterday for example the land line rang, didnt answer it, customer left a message regarding intruder alarm problem, phoned them back and sorted over the phone within 10 minutes customer happy and not a problem to soirt ;)

leave mine on always

you never know...........

'hi sorry its late but i was given your number by someone you did some work for and i have a major problem'.........

my phone is on 24/7 365 days a year.... the only time when i switch it off is when i fly...

one job can lead into another job etc...

The best one I had was when I was due to go and look at a faulty shower first thing on my way to another job.

The phone rang at half past six in the morning. I was still in bed asleep. It was the "customer" phoning to tell me not to bother calling to look at the shower, it was just the dozy foreign tennant had forgot to turn the isolator on.

But why phone at 6:30AM??? why not wait until a sensible time like 8AM?

The best one I had was when I was due to go and look at a faulty shower first thing on my way to another job.The phone rang at half past six in the morning. I was still in bed asleep. It was the "customer" phoning to tell me not to bother calling to look at the shower, it was just the dozy foreign tennant had forgot to turn the isolator on.

But why phone at 6:30AM??? why not wait until a sensible time like 8AM?
At least once a week someone rings me before eight o'clock asking what time we open! headbang

the best one was a colleague of mine got a call around midnight asking how much it cost to have a cat castrated and when could we do it??!! headbang

At least once a week someone rings me before eight o'clock asking what time we open! headbang the best one was a colleague of mine got a call around midnight asking how much it cost to have a cat castrated and when could we do it??!! headbang
Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Work is work at the end of the day however, after a hard days graft do you really want that "very rare call " in the middle of the night?

6am till 10pm by all means but outside of these hours, could the client not do without electricity till the morning?

Don & His Boys

6am till 10pm by all means but outside of these hours, could the client not do without electricity till the morning?
with certain businesses the answer is a resounding NO!

An example would be an abattoir. If they are working and lose power it must be restored within 4 hours or everything on the line becomes condemned. It is common for them to start work as early as 4am.

with certain businesses the answer is a resounding NO!An example would be an abattoir. If they are working and lose power it must be restored within 4 hours or everything on the line becomes condemned. It is common for them to start work as early as 4am.
Do these such important installations not have a backup? If they are that critical?????????

The Godfather

my phone is on 24 hours. if im busy and know i wont be able to answer, it gets diverted. get the odd call upto about 7 to arrange jobs etc, anything after that, unless its urgent, they normally get called back next day

Do these such important installations not have a backup? If they are that critical?????????

The Godfather
The size of generator and cost would be prohibitive for a small business.

There must be others where electricity is critical. Old lady with asthma who needs a nebuliser to breath? Farmer who needs to milk his cows? (ok every farmer I know has a genny)

I was just trying to make the point that there are genuine (rare) 3am emergencies!

even with a genny, it wont help with a failure of the circuit between DB & equipment

for domestic stuff, just about every night job is to silence an alarm. for most other stuff (loss of power etc), people usually wait until daytime to call

commercial stuff, could be anything, anytime.

The size of generator and cost would be prohibitive for a small business.There must be others where electricity is critical. Old lady with asthma who needs a nebuliser to breath? Farmer who needs to milk his cows? (ok every farmer I know has a genny)

I was just trying to make the point that there are genuine (rare) 3am emergencies!
But no guarantee, the fault can be resolved quickly, my friend.

As for any installation, there sadly will be that awful scenario where power cannot be restored quickly, as for the little old lay, there are emergency services or power taken from a kind neighbor.

Ultimately Pach, as much as we try, it's just impossible to cover all aspects of power loss, in a genral power cut, what then?

The Godfather

But no guarantee, the fault can be resolved quickly, my friend.As for any installation, there sadly will be that awful scenario where power cannot be restored quickly, as for the little old lay, there are emergency services or power taken from a kind neighbor.

Ultimately Pach, as much as we try, it's just impossible to cover all aspects of power loss, in a genral power cut, what then?

The Godfather
depends on the fault. if there is still power into the house, you can get a temp supply to equipment whilst fault is located/rectified.

if there is a power cut, then you may have a problem!

But no guarantee, the fault can be resolved quickly, my friend.As for any installation, there sadly will be that awful scenario where power cannot be restored quickly, as for the little old lay, there are emergency services or power taken from a kind neighbor.

The Godfather
I take your point 100% GF, but do you take mine? ;)