Which PAT tester?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
be sure to look at the complete kit, not just the tester.

Bought a wodge full of meggers, the basic one with no downloading, memory etc.

came with a short earth bond lead with an uninsulated crock clip on the end.

Had to buy the earth bond 'gun' probe, and the ELT1 break out box for doing extension leads and IEC leads, that was another 150 quid PER TESTER on top, and i' have 4 of them!

I use a Avo megger dv4 , with power suite software , it can perform a pat test in under 2 mins , easy to use and good 12month softwere tech support .............. but be warned pat testing will turn you suicidal

Ste

Evenin` all.Any suggestions as to a good, cost effective, PAT tester?

Just been offered 100 offices - PIR & PAT

Don`t currently do PAT, but this`ll make it worthwhile :DPray

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks
With 100 offices, you are going to have a fair bit of work. Remember, 1 computer setup will be 5 sometimes 7 separate items to test, 20 puters in a room and you start to have a lot of label writing and form filling to do plus the other items. Time is money, so the quicker you can get it done the faster you are to the next job.

I use the Megger PAT4 DV because,

1) I can preprogramme the machine the night before with the customers details so i am not sat on site wasting time.

2) With the soft wear i have i can hand over a report to the customer in a professional format either in paper or electronic format.

3) I don't need separate kit for doing IEC leads or extension leads.

4) At the end of the day i can download the data to my laptop and wipe the machine clear. The next time i go to the site i just upload the data from my laptop to the PAT4 and all the appliance data is there, use the bar code scanner and i have tested a toaster in about 45 seconds and that includes the machine printing the label. With the previous test results on the machine, i can instantly see if there is a increase in earth leakage or derogation of insulation resistance

Some VERY helpful responses there guys; thank you.

Have one of my beers:Guiness Drink

Certainly a bit to think about......

We hadn`t offered PAT services before, but 100 office units is a viable proposal........

FYI, I`ve got the Seaward PAT1000S, but it cannot do IT equip :(

Sad, really, `cos it`s a nice piece of kit.

Buggr it - I`ll spend some more of the taxman`s hard-earned dosh:O:O:O

i was using a fluke 6500 the other day - nice piece of kit, but:

The keyboard is a little small - but usable

There is only one port - so its either barcode scanner or printer - not both together

Doesn't natively have a 110 socket - you need an adapter.

Bar those few issues, its a doddle to use and its nice and portable - i might be tempted to get one :)

D.

Why are these called PAT testers. Surely they should be called PA Testers :eek: ; \ ; \
PA testers are the people on stage who say 'one, two..... one, two....' into the microphone. Different kettle of fish to 'in-service equipment inspection testers'. ;)