Which sds drill

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safedepth

Reaction score
Evening all.

Spent a couple of hours yesterday morning chasing out for some sockets etc with the armeg box sinker. Unfortunately my drill (cheap erbauer) died towards the end and had to finish by hand.

So, the problem now is which one to buy as a replacement.

It needs to have rotary stop for core drilling and chisel action for the sbs and chasing.

Anyone have a favourite they can recommend?

Many thanks

Fitz

Thanks fella's.

I like Bosch and Dewalt. I'm looking at a 4Kg model, SDS plus, about 900w. All the blurbs say max core size 90mm. I know they'll do more, (the erbauer managed more comfortably), but the chasing and box sinking is what killed it. Does anyone have experience of a drill that copes with this work. I don't sink boxes every day but need it to perform when asked.

Fitz

Hilti, you will stuggle to kill it. I used to buy dewalt but after six months they gave me nothing but mither. Makita are good too.

Hilti stuff is good I use my SDS to core these days as long as wall is not to hard will core 4'' hole easily. I do have a core drill but clutch seems to have gone on it so takes forever to get through wall. Most Hilti stuff only has 2 year guarantee and some battery stuff only one year which I found out after 18 months when my battery drill packed up.

ballda dash ...... theres only one drill for me the 36 volt bosch with rotar stop. dont buy the cheapy ... go for the 499 model with 2 big batteries and removable chuck.

ballda dash ...... theres only one drill for me the 36 volt bosch with rotar stop. dont buy the cheapy ... go for the 499 model with 2 big batteries and removable chuck.
Chicken feed. Hilti for the same money and twice the drill. Plus its a nice shade of red.

When I worked for an air conditioning installer (albeit a good few years ago) we only used Hilti's and considering everyjob it was either a 2 or 4 inch core for pipe work or remove a brick for more than 2 units ,I always found them to be good and reliable , in 2 years out of the 5 Hilti TE22s we had we never had one break down on us.

But I am also a huge fan of Bosch trade stuff had a 4and half inch angle grinder for many years and it has never let me down even with the abuse I have put it through, with cutting off over 100 M10 through bolts when the company I worked for moved or the constant cutting of Unitstrut.

Either IMHO would be a good buy.

When I worked for an air conditioning installer (albeit a good few years ago) we only used Hilti's and considering everyjob it was either a 2 or 4 inch core for pipe work or remove a brick for more than 2 units ,I always found them to be good and reliable , in 2 years out of the 5 Hilti TE22s we had we never had one break down on us.But I am also a huge fan of Bosch trade stuff had a 4and half inch angle grinder for many years and it has never let me down even with the abuse I have put it through, with cutting off over 100 M10 through bolts when the company I worked for moved or the constant cutting of Unitstrut.

Either IMHO would be a good buy.
I do think a drill would be more use than an angle grinder in this instance, though ;)

If you don't do a lot of box sinking (like me) I have a Bosch SDS lightwieght, takes a chisel. Will get hot with continuous use but does the job a treat. Got a 240v version from ,believe it or not, Argos for

I do think a drill would be more use than an angle grinder in this instance, though ;)
As always Patch you are right ;) , what I was trying to say is they are a quality make , I have one of the OLD battery SDS's and its always been a decent piece of kit even drilling most of replacement 100 16mm holes, until I moved and it got dropped :( now it either just wont charge right or the batteries are not holding the charge.

I plan on a Bosch SDS as my next purchase put it that way . :innocent

I have a dewalt D25404K (in 110v). It is (or was) the largest sds+ drill/hammer that dewalt did. Any larger and its sds-max and I had loads of sds+ bits already so didn't want to do there.

It sinks boxes in no time and chases walls out really quick with a wall chaser bit.

Try a cheap 7kg erbaur or titan or similar. You won't break one in a hurry and it will go on all day - I am assuming that upto now you've been using a 2kg drill, which ain't man eneough for sustained abuse.

I agree with jl as I've used the 36v lithium ion with the 3.0ah batteries and couldn't believe how good it was. Went through hard concrete like butter with a decent drill bit.

Before you rush out and buy a new drill and put the old one in the bin, have a look at the brushes. I'm willing to bet it just needs a new set of brushes.

I've been using a "no name" cheap SDS drill for 7 years now. It too "broke" after 2 years, but all it needed were new brushes. It's done 5 years now on it's new brushes, so perhaps the originals were a bit soft, or just too short?

us poor plumbers can`t afford the expensive kit like you lot!

I have had a 240v wickes professional sds for several years, and use it for 117mm cores for waste pipe, and for chases. Never lets me down, but does get quite hot sometimes.

How can an opinion which differs from yours be "ballda dash"?

Did the OP say he was looking for a cordless SDS?

Are you sure you've got "rotar" stop?

How "big" are those batteries?

us poor plumbers can`t afford the expensive kit like you lot!I have had a 240v wickes professional sds for several years, and use it for 117mm cores for waste pipe, and for chases. Never lets me down, but does get quite hot sometimes.
there are some poor sparks out there too buddy, :(