Dangerous Workmanship - Help!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is top of my priorities for tomorrow. Then, hopefully, I can move forward with this and get the electrics made safe.

As you already have a certificate stating that the fixed wiring was compliant and satisfactory on 27/6/17, which from the information provided so far could actually be quite accurate, any EICR undertaken should be relatively easy to do comparing what is there now with what was tested in June 17.  You still haven't elaborated on any of the other points I raised earlier, which could all have significant implications around how you pursue any remedial work.

How much detailed specification was in the original contact of works? (As you said you supplied the heaters).

What was the builder told to install?  

Were the water heaters available at the start of the job or supplied later?

And who actually did the final connections Including the water pipes?

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
The more I read the more I’m inclined to agree with the Doc, I suspect that the OP has said he’ll require three water heaters which he’ll provide, the builder had relayed this to the spark who, wrongly assumed it would be three small water heaters- why given it’s a tea room? Then A N Other (read as Builder or his plumber) has connected. The electrician is almost innocent. However what it does highlight is the importance of understanding the clients needs prior to proceeding with any works regardless of your trade or skill set. If you don’t see what the client sees then you will fall foul! 

The more I read the more I’m inclined to agree with the Doc, I suspect that the OP has said he’ll require three water heaters which he’ll provide, the builder had relayed this to the spark who, wrongly assumed it would be three small water heaters- why given it’s a tea room? Then A N Other (read as Builder or his plumber) has connected. The electrician is almost innocent. However what it does highlight is the importance of understanding the clients needs prior to proceeding with any works regardless of your trade or skill set. If you don’t see what the client sees then you will fall foul! 

im thinking the same. were the heaters provided and on-site before the place was wired?

My reasoning is that on the whole the electrical certificate looks quite reasonable with appropriate looking values in each of the boxes. From that I find it very hard to believe the person who complied the certificate was aware of the power rating of the heaters.  I would also be very interested to know if the electrician is still on talking terms with the builder?  I suspect the builder may have botched this one up. And I am sure many of us know of the scenario of builder ringing around some local electrician's to do a quick urgent job as a one-off. Which could also explain why electrician pops back to look at the job and walks away in disgust at what he see's builder (or plumber) has connected to his 13A Fused spurs!

Doc H.  

Last edited by a moderator:
It does remind me of the constant verbal battle i have with some of my "industrial clients" -

" i have a new machine coming, can you pre-wire it so that its ready to go when its delivered"

me " Its OK i much prefer to wait for the machine to arrive and then i can assess what cct is required"

client " Its similar to the other one we have"

me " great, when it arrives just give me a call"

client " oh is that the best you can do"

me "unless its a new machine and you have the manufacturers installation instructions"

client " no i bought it at an auction"

me " OK i'll wait until it arrives"

I only do this because i have had every combination of " machine/device" turn up, that is.

1, TP instead of Sp

2. TPN instead of TP

3. 16A commando instead of 13A GP socket

4. TP 100A, instead of TP 30A

and the list goes on...

As mentioned, its whoever connected the heater that needs to be re-trained...

Latest posts