which test equipment is best

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mft1552 for me too as learnt with this. Easiest meter to use and get on with. Had a go of a fluke and didnt like it. Have a go of both and make your choice. Megger are English I believe and fluke are American?
Both Megger and Fluke are US owned, Megger do make the units in the uk (Dover) but i don't know if the components are UK. Fluke put the unit together in the UK (Norwich) but all the bits come from elsewhere.

Fluke are owned by US investment company Danaher who are listed in the top dow jones top 100, they own Amprobe, Tektronics, comark etc

What tester is best? Based on quantities sold and returns made both Megger and Fluke are pretty robust and in my opinion are both fairly straight forward to use, Kewtech is good honest technology with a long history in Test equipment and are a decent company to deal with, Metrel are from Slovakia and although good testers it is when they go wrong that problems occur.

The best one at the moment is this one because it's a great offer!!

If you do want to take the plunge on any of them give me a call or PM and i will sort you out the Forum Deal.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I use a Megger mft 1552. It's what I'm used to and I always use the copper coloured top batteries in it as I find they last longer.

I use a Megger mft 1552. It's what I'm used to and I always use the copper coloured top batteries in it as I find they last longer.
That and eveready energizer batteries - what ever you do don't buy cheapo batteries cos they just don't last. Got stuck one day, went to corner shop who only had set of really cheapo batteries (at stupid prices of course) and just managed about 2 hours of testing before they stopped working. A decent set of duracells or energizers will last me months (don't do a lot of testing, but enough to get through a few batteries). Best place to buy is Toys R Us or B&Q as they normally have good deals on battery packs.

You don't say where you are based, but there may be a shop near you that will let you have a play with a few different testers, just so you can see how you feel about them. I phoned one of Meggger Marks branches to ask if I could play with some testers and they said "of course, no problem" so I intend to go and pick their brains and play with their toys very soon. If you can find somewhere near you, I think it would be worth a few hours of your time.

You don't say where you are based, but there may be a shop near you that will let you have a play with a few different testers, just so you can see how you feel about them. I phoned one of Meggger Marks branches to ask if I could play with some testers and they said "of course, no problem" so I intend to go and pick their brains and play with their toys very soon. If you can find somewhere near you, I think it would be worth a few hours of your time.
Nice one Ali, of course that offer is open to anyone in the Norwich area and can get into us.

Metrel MI3000 Easi Plus, cheap and does the job - but won't take much rough treatment

i have got fluke cos i learnt on robin but dont have as much confidence in the fluke as the old robins! I dont have much experience with other testers so cant comment on them but the fluke wouldnt be a bad buy just make sure you get some quality leads with it ;)

Fluke have since the original 16xx series were launched changed the manufacturer of the leads, this came from the Fluke product manager for the MFT's.

They had issues, so they did something about it.

The new leads even though they look identical are much better and much more reliable.

I have IIRC this by email, though we certainly discussed this over the phone.

I use a megger 1553. Believe it or not I actually use the bluetooth feature, a very handy tool I must say and a great time saver.

Is it just the leads that people don't like about the Flukes?

I am about to buy my first tester. A friend of mine has the Fluke 1652C and seems to get on OK with it. I've used it as well and found it OK but I don't have experience with any other testers yet.

I'm leaning toward the Megger 1710 or the Kewtech that MeggerMark linked to at the moment (I like the colour coding on the function switch), but would like to know about any wear or ergonomic issues with either these or the Fluke before I decide.

Thanks,

Dan

From what I know Fluke changed their lead supplier quite a while ago so there shouldn't be a problem on that score.

All I can say is that you should try and get some hands on with the ones you have short listed and go with the one that you think suits you he best

As far as the Megger 17xx series of testers, they are quite new so you woun't get many of reviews on them yet,,,, although at least 1 member here has one

Now see, I`m opposite to our "Ash":

I lurve my Fluke - was devastated when it went bang (MM - you ARE the dog`s danglies - end of!) ;) ; and I bought a Kewtech KT62, to keep me going whilst the Fluke was in hospital :(

What a piece of nonsense that is. Yeah, it`ll do domestic; IF you want to stick to EXACTLY what you`d expect to need to do, "out of the box".

Let me explain that: If you`re going to be doing PIRs, or fault finds, the Kew isn`t going to work for you - its too fussy. Whereas I can reconfigure my lead connections to the fluke, dependant on exactly what I want to do.

Meggers are okay; I think, personally, that the tester market is pretty much split in two:

Megger, Fluke & Seaward have the predominant "professional" market; whilst Kewtech, Metrel et al are more your "noddy" tester (no offence to any users of this kit intended......) - this is just MY opinion. If you know what you`re doing with the tester, and you want something to behave as an extension of your hands, Megger / Fluke "style" tester is what you want.

If you`re the more "what is the next step in the book" - lets check where this lead goes, sort of testing person - get the Alphatec, Metrel or Kew - they are designed for that type of testing, IMO.

megga, always a megga for me.... plus it is built in the UK so spare parts are easy to get hold of if need be...

i have been told in the past that fluke parts are not cheap and take a while to get hold of..

Buy the fluke and the megger and the one u dont like would do me as i need to get one in the next year.

Is it just the leads that people don't like about the Flukes?I am about to buy my first tester. A friend of mine has the Fluke 1652C and seems to get on OK with it. I've used it as well and found it OK but I don't have experience with any other testers yet.

I'm leaning toward the Megger 1710 or the Kewtech that MeggerMark linked to at the moment (I like the colour coding on the function switch), but would like to know about any wear or ergonomic issues with either these or the Fluke before I decide.

Thanks,

Dan
The only niggle i can think of with the fluke is the neck strap on mine is always falling off! And i can confirm it passes the drop test! I have now stappled it in place. It does everything i want and more, the light is useful and so is the red lead with the test button. I dont understand why people slate them, just because you have to use your eyes and read what it is telling you doesnt mean its hard to use.

I have been having problems with my megger 1552. when I use the auto null with the crocks it works every time. when I use the tips I cant get 2 readings the same. I thought it was the leads so I bought some new ones, same problem. sent it to be calibrated and the guy ashored me there was no problem. I still cant get 2 readings the same. Anyone else have problems with the continuity.

I have been having problems with my megger 1552. when I use the auto null with the crocks it works every time. when I use the tips I cant get 2 readings the same. I thought it was the leads so I bought some new ones, same problem. sent it to be calibrated and the guy ashored me there was no problem. I still cant get 2 readings the same. Anyone else have problems with the continuity.
some previous meters I have had have been like this. What I now use is unfused leads on continuity tests and my Fluke 1652 always gets readings spot on. Have you tried the calcard that is good for checking if you are worried.

Am I the only person on here who has a Seaward tester?

I used the Fluke 1652 and Megger MFT1552 when I was training, and prefered the Fluke for ease of use and the fact that I didn't seem to be able to get consistent results with the Megger (although I admit, that was possibly down to me!!).

However, when it came to purchasing all my tools, the simple matter of price had a major influence on my choice as I couldn't find either of the Fluke or Megger for less than