whirlpool bath power.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vic

Reaction score
can i take power from a socket in the next room to power my bath and a extractor fan, providing its fused.

thank you

looked in the job in more depth, the fuse box is the old type with no rcd, so i told my dad it might be worthwile upgrading this for something more suitable. i isolted the power and had a good look in his fuse box, he has 2.5mm ring circuits with a cpc and 1.5mm lighting again with a cpc, although its the old colouring red,black and green its not rubber its pvc. so its looking positive, even a 6mm cooker cable not 4mm. i dissconected at the fuse to see if there was any loose cable to pull through, as the consumer unit is bigger and requires longer tails, but it would not budge, it was the same at thr rest apart from the 6mm cable as i pulled a foot through. my question to you is how can i get the increased length of cable to connect in to the consumer unit.

thank you.

looked in the job in more depth, the fuse box is the old type with no rcd, so i told my dad it might be worthwile upgrading this for something more suitable. i isolted the power and had a good look in his fuse box, he has 2.5mm ring circuits with a cpc and 1.5mm lighting again with a cpc, although its the old colouring red,black and green its not rubber its pvc. so its looking positive, even a 6mm cooker cable not 4mm. i dissconected at the fuse to see if there was any loose cable to pull through, as the consumer unit is bigger and requires longer tails, but it would not budge, it was the same at thr rest apart from the 6mm cable as i pulled a foot through. my question to you is how can i get the increased length of cable to connect in to the consumer unit.thank you.
Surly you'd just use terminal blocks http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28279/Electrical/Cable-Accessories/Cable-Connectors/Terminal-Blocks-15A-Pack-of-10

Or you could crimp

Or you could use the 'agricultural' method and use a bit of old electric fence wire..... ;)

As this is a change to the bathroom, an area regarded as one of the special locations, test equipment would be a useful asset.

Blindly adding circuits (DIY) without some means of testing is dangerous practice to say the least.

And yes RCD will be required.

The Godfather

BTW welcome to the forums vic :^O Why not go to the other sub-forum and introduce yourself?

Everyone's nice here :^O

GF is correct, as one would expect (Would YOU argue?????)

If you are not qualified to do this work to 7671 & provide BRCC; I would suggest using someone who does / can.

To be taken in the manner it is intended (advisory)

KME

I passed my 16th edition wiring regs a couple a years and passed my upgrade to 17th in june but its mainly used at work with industrial, my friend is niceic registered so he will test and sign it of. so chocblox are okay to use?

thankyou.

I passed my 16th edition wiring regs a couple a years and passed my upgrade to 17th in june but its mainly used at work with industrial, my friend is niceic registered so he will test and sign it of. so chocblox are okay to use?thankyou.
Your NICEIC 'friend' cannot sign off other peoples work.

can he not, i thought if he came and did a full inspection and test and issued me with a cert that was okay. he also nappit, if thats what it is called, registered aswell.

can he not, i thought if he came and did a full inspection and test and issued me with a cert that was okay. he also nappit, if thats what it is called, registered aswell.
It's not who you are with..

Its what is the thing that you are signing for..

The declaration that is signed on the NICEIC Domestic Elec Ins Cert

is signed for Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing..

1 person/company signing for total responsibility.

Whereas the model forms in the regs.. (e.g. pg 332 big red book).

have space for separate signatures

1) Design

2) Construction

3) Inspection & testing.

which is more common practice within commercial work!

I personally would never sign off other persons work.. because..

should the worst happen and someone is seriously injured resulting in an investigation of some sort..

and if any negligence is identified.. well.. I wouldn't want that responsibility!!

spose it is a bit like...

using your mobile while driving..

or drink driving..

or fiddling your tax form..

There are risk & hazards some take the risks..

others stick to what is generally accepted as good practice..

and can sleep each night with a clear conscience.. :) ;)

It's not who you are with..Its what is the thing that you are signing for..

The declaration that is signed on the NICEIC Domestic Elec Ins Cert

is signed for Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing..

1 person/company signing for total responsibility.

Whereas the model forms in the regs.. (e.g. pg 332 big red book).

have space for separate signatures

1) Design

2) Construction

3) Inspection & testing.

which is more common practice within commercial work!

I personally would never sign off other persons work.. because..

should the worst happen and someone is seriously injured resulting in an investigation of some sort..

and if any negligence is identified.. well.. I wouldn't want that responsibility
Using Regs Model Forms, does that mean Vic can complete and sign for parts 1 and 2 and his friend sign part 3?

Who would that ultimately leave responsibility with then?

Ms. Larf:

Vic, if the design or construction were at fault, or his friend if the I&T proved incorrect.

Its more a case of the BRCS (part "p") , which is either submitted by someone reg`d with a scam provider, or notified to LBC before work starts.

The regs require as I understand it that an 'Installation Certificate' is required, not an inspection cert. But as SL says the installation cert has different signature boxes for Installation and Testing so would suggest using that and signing the appropraite boxes with your mate who will also need to register job with BC.