white pvc conduit outdoors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_mouse

Reaction score
hi all, can white PVC counduit be used outdoors? Also i need to span a gap of 1m but cant find a PVC dome cover is there a problem using a galv dome cover on a PVC terminal box and galv conduit for the span?

hi all, can white PVC counduit be used outdoors? Also i need to span a gap of 1m but cant find a PVC dome cover is there a problem using a galv dome cover on a PVC terminal box and galv conduit for the span?
Not a problem as long as its earthed.

I'd use a galv terminal box as well if you're doing that though.
Forgive my ignorance, this is a very steep learning curve for me! I've never seen PVC joined to a galv terminal box, how is it done? can PVC conuit have a thread cut into it?

As far as I know , only black conduit is supposed to resist the affects of direct sunlight, as with black flex. I used black conduit at a print works I looked after , noticed it go out of shape , and harden , especially the boxes, over a 5 year year span.

Deke

Either white or black conduit can be used outside since both provide UV protection to the contained wiring system.

To be perfectly honest - this UV resistance is, in reality, a scam. The fact that we can use black rubber flex (which will perish) in preference to PVC flex, which will last years and years, shows what a farce it all is!

I very much doubt that the armchair experts that think such rubbish up have much relevant installation experience. - then again, they probably can`t earn a living in the real world so are reduced to preaching drivel to the masses! ]:)

Wonder if we used a cheapo make of conduit , nearly always MITRE . Would'nt use black rubber flex TBH , just PVC .

Have you seen any jobs done in orange PVC covered Pyro , exposed to sunlight ? The cable itself is fine but the orange colour fades out and looks carp ,except for the shrouds and sometimes the clips, which keep their colour.

Hi there,

One thing to watch out for with PVC, is that in sun light/warm conditions it can sag. I have seen many jobs where its been used outside and the distance between saddles was too large and its sagged :(

Instead of using galv domes (if you want to stay PVC) you could simply use one of those female PVC adapters (see above) and fit it into a PVC lid - if required (ie you have cheap lids) then solvent weld two together - But hopefully one would suffice (more professional) ;)

O.

i didn't think metal conduit needed earthing? its neither an exposed or extraneous conductive part, its just metal.

i didn't think metal conduit needed earthing? its neither an exposed or extraneous conductive part, its just metal.
if the cable inside is single insulated then it must be earthed. (exposed conductive part)

if the cable inside is double insulated, then it wont need earthing, but you may aswell earth it

Either white or black conduit can be used outside since both provide UV protection to the contained wiring system. To be perfectly honest - this UV resistance is, in reality, a scam. The fact that we can use black rubber flex (which will perish) in preference to PVC flex, which will last years and years, shows what a farce it all is!

I very much doubt that the armchair experts that think such rubbish up have much relevant installation experience. - then again, they probably can`t earn a living in the real world so are reduced to preaching drivel to the masses! ]:)
For conduit UV resistance is irrelevent, as per PVC guttering. For the cable, if exposed to UV it does make a difference, if however said cable is on the North side of the building with no direct sunlight exposure, then it makes little difference, but I normally use black as it usually blends in better with the building, and fittings.

incidentally in posting this i used the smilies tab and why on earth is the smiley link for PI so bloody long?!? crbvcurbvubruvbruvb
When Admin set it up 'pi' was crbvcurbvubruvbruvb but you do find it crops up in certain words so he used the name of his favourite polish barmaid.

lol, i can understand not using pi on its own as like you said the symbol would start appearing all over the shop, most forums i have used in the past put a : on either end of the text so that it doesn't get used by mistake.

lol, i can understand not using pi on its own as like you said the symbol would start appearing all over the shop, most forums i have used in the past put a : on either end of the text so that it doesn't get used by mistake.
to be fair it's only recently the spelling of Guinness has been corrected (you see it as guiness on old posts) ;)