Electric sockets for outside but undercover!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedArcher68

Reaction score
Hi

I’m building an outdoor but undercover seating area 5m x 4m (approx) it will be open air on two sides. With lighting and power included.
What type of sockets/switches do I need?
The IP66 type of socket would look out of place? Also wiring and wall-back-boxes will be chased into the wall.
I’ve tried searching for the answer myself but my query just doesn’t return the relevant info for what I’m looking for

Was wondering if I could just use standard MK plastic sockets?

Any help you can proved would be appreciated

Regards
RedArcher

Hi

I’m building an outdoor but undercover seating area 5m x 4m (approx) it will be open air on two sides. With lighting and power included.
The IP66 type of socket would look out of place? Also wiring and wall-back-boxes will be chased into the wall.
I’ve tried searching for the answer myself but my query just doesn’t return the relevant info for what I’m looking for

Regards
RedArcher

I would guess that the searching you have done has already returned the correct solution.. ??

Outdoor wiring and accessories need to be compatible with all of the potential external influences.....

What do the manufactures specification for the standard MK socket you are proposing say?

How will they cope with any potential damp, moisture, frost, insects, UV, dust, heat, mechanical knocks, bumps etc.. etc..

I wouldn't even consider fitting a standard plastic socket in a shed / workshop / garage due to the external influences...
Outdoor accessories that I fit, even with a canopy, will always be an accessory Designed to be used outdoors!

Last edited:
"How will they cope with any potential damp, moisture, frost, insects, UV, dust, heat, mechanical knocks, bumps etc.. etc.."

Plus an accidental dousing with a garden hose, or a snow drift against that wall.

It's not just the sockets you have to consider. What will you be plugging into them? Will they be left outdoors (under cover)

Given the outdoor environment you have a limited choice as the accessories will need to have a suitable IP rating
The IP66 type of socket would look out of place?
Why given that the installation is outdoors
Also wiring and wall-back-boxes will be chased into the wall.
Are you building the wall around this installation or are you chasing it into a finished wall
Is it that the search results are not compatible with what you want to do
I find it worrying that you are even asking this
Have you thought of using https://www.electricpoint.com/mk-ma...SgsL59Py7yBSOAka-sd9E2hIizqVzPYUaAqOdEALw_wcB
with the MK outdoor sockets, I have used quite a few and they make the outdoor sockets less obtrusive
SWA cable!
Burying SWA cable in a wall is asking for future problems you would probably be better using plastic conduit
Can I go from House fuse board to Shed’s fuse board to Outside seating area’s fuse board?
The mind boggles as to what "fuse board" you are going to install and where you are going to install it for the outside seating area
Cable will be underground in conduit
I assume you mean you are installing SWA in underground ducting

And the big question, given this is a DIY project how do you intend to test and verify the finished installation complies with and meets the requirements of BS7671 so you can minimise the risk of a fatality