Why do I need an MOP? (Apart from cleaning the floor)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a SMETS1 meter that has been updated to allow tariff transfer when changing supplier. Currently with Octopus who are happily receiving 30 minute imporrt/export data from the meter.

I requested Octopus to install a Zappi charger. The respnse I received was :-

"Thank you for reaching out. (Grrr - bad start!)
I've requested an appointment for your meter exchange to MOP, which is LEYLAND METERING SERVICES LTD (LMSL)
They should get in touch with you within two business days to confirm and book the appointment."

I haven't been contacted yet, but it is the Christmas holiday period.

Now, I had never heard of an MOP (meter operator) contract or any requirement for one for a domestic user. Octopus haven't given me an explanation so far.

Googling it reveals an MOP is a requirement for 30 minute meter readiings, but Octopus already receive those. Providers of MOP contracts reckon it can save the user money as it can be more accurate than the supplier providing the service (Mandy Rice-Davies quote applies!)

Has anyone come across this as a requirement for fitting a charging point and throw some light on this?

Hopefully an explanation from Octopus will be forthcoming once the holiday period is over.

For general interest: MOP contracts - what are they and why do I need one https://eaguk.org/energy-services/mop-contracts/
Thanks - I had been there in my Googlings and I note the statement on the website:-

"There are wide differences in pricing ranging from £220 to £600 per annum, with contract terms between 1 and 5 years.
MOP charges are sometimes collected through your electricity bill although normally directly by your meter operator (MOP)"

Since an MOP is, according to the website, now a requirement, I can only assume that Octopus are currently handling the MOP charges, but then why would it be necessary to take out a separate expensive contract?

Ah well, hopefully all will be revealed in due course!
Happy New Year to all!

Latest posts