Wierd cooker Connections

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Called out to a house today. An 80 year old lady had a cooker put in 2 years ago which 'had never worked so I been using the microwave' (honest its true)

Checked the supply (30A rewirable) checked the switch (for some reason it was in the shower room next to the kitchen! Turned the oven on - nothing. Turned up the temp control - nothing. Turned on the first ring - oven light came on. Turned it off and oven went off.

I teried in vain to work out how to get at the controls, couldnt get the front off or the top. Eventually decided to check the connections on the back. It seems that the cooker for some reason had several different ways of connecting - even an option for 400V. It transpired that the installer 2 years ago had failed to connect a link on the neutral and the oven was being backfed somehow through the ring when it was turned on. Anyway old lady happy and cooker fixed.

Havent done much on appliances for a while just thought it was strange to have a 400V option on a domestic cooker?

Most (for example) German domestic hobs are 3-phase. And no manufacturer is going to restrict an appliance for sale to just one country. So you'll find that this is very common.

Agree wih BS3036

I have seen many cookers with connection plate with

1 x earth

1 x Neutral

& 3 x live all with little 'U'-shaped link plates if single phase.

Depends what kind of oven the lady has. I installed an oven for my mother earlier this year what had a 400v option. It was a "Falcon" oven (massive great thing) which is a professional make but kind of threw me all the same. Also came across a customer with a ceramic hob the other day that could run on 400v. I think more and more "good" appliance companies are preparing themselves for use in commercial kitchens.

Agree wih BS3036I have seen many cookers with connection plate with

1 x earth

1 x Neutral

& 3 x live all with little 'U'-shaped link plates if single phase.
It was connected like that except there were 2 neutral terminals which were supposed to be linked for 230V use. I just find it hard to believe that someone connected it, briefly flicked a ring on and said "yep that works" and left a little old lady with an unusable cooker.

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7038

Basically the rest of Europe uses 3 phase in domestic wiring to keep cable sizes and CPD's down.

Appliances are manufactured for the European market and minor differences between wiring systems are allowed for in the terminal box. It's much cheaper than making a separate appliance for each slightly differing country.