Windows Backup Software

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well,

I have CCC & obviously time machine for the MAC.

Can anyone suggest anything similar for Windows, as far as I can tell, Windows backup is rubbish.

I have a Synology DiskStation now on the network, with adequate storage, and one of the reasons for getting this was to move data onto that so that it was on redundant storage, and to allow us to create if possible "real time" backups of the Windows machine disks so that we can have some sort of recovery plan when disks go pop.

Moving the data is fine and pretty much done, I'm still working on moving the Outlook data files, but, that will come in time, in the meantime, I am trying to get regular backups, of this and the other changing data.

Our Sage backs up every few days via its own system, fine.

I have tried Synology Time Machine, free, but it is Synology, so I hoped it would be constructed to make use of their own hardware, but that is a pain.

Any suggestions or ideas please?

Oh, and changing to a MAC or Linux immediately is not an option.

Over time, things will change, but, I need to get a recovery plan in place as soon as I can.

clonezilla

or

filezilla

but I have no idea if this is what you are actually looking for,

I just run it manually every so often,

most of my important stuff is on raid,

Steps,

I am looking for something automatic that will run in the background, I have another machine apart from mine I need to back up, and the user is a user, so the SW needs to run automatically in the background.

We use the raid as data storage rather than just backup, as it should be highly fault tolerant, Synology DS2413+.

My next "networking project" is to get it onto an aggregated link to give us a 2GB fault tolerant link direct to the DiskStation.

Try allway sync for the outlook files. can work to sync on mapped network drive or FTP to the synology. you dont get multiple backups, but everytime the file on the PC changes, it will sync it

and you can set it to auto sync every x amount of time

Thanks Andy,

I am looking for a way to reliably, move, the Outlook files to the RAID.

I am even considering a domain with log on's that do not use the local machine disk for any storage.

I can't remember the correct term for this at this point in time.

I need to move away from local machine storage, for all data, on at least two machines, if not 10, and 7 users across these machines & I need to get full mobile access to all the data, plus perhaps a couple of others, due to customer requirements for data protection, I can't use "normal" cloud services as they are not considered secure under the DPA, hence my installation of out "own" cloud server, if you think about one of my very important and growing customers in particular, then you will understand what I mean.

waaay out of my knowledge ,

sorry,

I have something on my PC that does it automatically for me, [but thats Linux based] and I run those other things manually every now and again,

surely you would have thought windows and mac would have some sort of auto function inbuilt too...  :|

So Clonezilla will make a complete carbon copy of the machine disk, so I could then wipe the disk, or change it and restore from the Clonezilla backup?

Or would something like Acronis True Backup be more suited.

What I need to do is to make a complete backup of a Win7 machine disk.

I then need to wipe the disk back to a factory install, then clone this.

Then restore the complete backup taken earlier.

I also have a couple of machines where I need to change the disks, so, a complete carbon copy of the disk would be uaseful & I could do with doing it with the original disk in the machine across the network TBH.

So looking to store the images on a NAS.

Suggestions please?

select network boot in bios, then it asks you where to boot from, I think,

Ive only ever done it once and that was a looong time ago.

why not just boot from the cloned disk in bios,?

boot from usb device