Windows Vista Pc Clean Up

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepparz

Reaction score
is it possible to restore a pc to its original condition? mine is slow as hell and most of the time wont even connect to the internet with all the mallware on it. uninstalling programs takes hours. is was thinking of something like a system restore? could this be dont to return it to the condition it was in when purchased, dont bothered about losing any files/pictures. its windows vista about 5 years old.

many thanks.

i dont think i'd have a problem formating the drive but not sure about installing the operating system. is an expensive job getting a shop to do it?

When Our Vista laptop died it was a new HDD and Ubuntu.

Somewhat of a learning curve to start with, but plenty of help on this forum.

It's now far quicker than it ever was with Vista on it. Biggest POS that microsoft ever released if you ask me.

The deciding factor with that was we didn't have the install disks to re install Vista from scratch.

Most branded PC's will have a ghost partition with OS and Drivers for a fresh install or maybe Restore Disks, what do have and have you got the manual which shoukd explain fresh install or restore.

Vista is well know to be the work of the Devil! Working on the basis that every other incarnation of Windows is dire then XP was alright, Vista was terrible then Windows 7 again not bad.........Windows 8, yuk and 8.1 trying to correct 8!  :lol: Just my opinion but they all eventually get so clogged a fresh install is the only real solution. Of course often by then Windows will have stopped supporting that version anyway. IMHO it's deliberate to deprive you of your cash..............FOREVER!

What I'd do is save any photos, music, vids & files you want to an external, plug in drive.

Then TRY Zorin OS..........it's Ubuntu based but looks and acts just like the Windows that you'll be familiar with........so much so that when I go back to using Ubuntu now I sometimes get confused.

http://zorin-os.com/

Zorin will do all your web browsing requirements. Using Playonlinux/WINE it''ll run Microsoft Office and also iTunes (if you must). Great media player in the form of VLC. Shutter for screen shots, Draftsight for CAD. Generally a FREE Linux equivalent for everything. Your printers will likely work straight off without loading drivers too.

What is the pc btw? Do you know how to get into the BIOS and boot from USB/DVD if necessary?