Wired Ring Doorbell installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoe.lambert

Reaction score
I have a wired doorbell which I am replacing with a wired Ring doorbell. All the wiring is already there. I will not be using the current chime as I have other devices for the bell to ring on. So is it as simple as needing to replace the current transformer to one that is compatible with Ring? I’ve got an electrician lined up to do the work but I just want to understand how it works.
Thanks

You may not need to replace the existing transformer...
Unless it is a really really naff one!
(I may be wrong, I'd have to check the Ring installation instructions...
But I think the Ring doorbells can work off various voltage transformers providing its above 8v?)

Just bypass your existing chime and connect your transformer direct to the Ring doorbell..

Previously when I have connect Ring doorbells, I have started off by connecting it to a temporary supply inside the house near to the router...
As when you first set them up all the ones I have done needed to do an update to the doorbell itself!!

(Nothing worse than trying to do updates if your wifi connection is poor due to extra physical obsticles such as walls / doors reducing the signal strength. )

Other than that its all pretty easy and straight forward.

rewired an old flat many years ago, all the wall lights were wired in clear bellwire, pinned to the wall with panel pins inserted through the middle of the cable. It lasted 40 years like that... :eek:

The new ring doorbells don’t work off the old eight volt transformers. Replace the transformer, modify the wiring in the old chime so it sends the new supply strait down the the switch wire and that is the supply to the doorbell. The chime unit works off wi-fi, once paired