Wiring in conduit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwiNCFC

Reaction score
Hello guys!

In my rig at the end of 2330 level 2 i need to do a 2 way lighting cirucit with 2 lights in conduit.

What is different to wiring in conduit? Do i just use the same method of connection but using cable without a grey PVC sheathing?

Yes and no

These are called singles, so you will have single un-sheathed conductors that you will pull into a completed conduit sytem running from the Consumer unit to your switches and light fittings. Wiring is normally connected directly between various points without the use of junction boxes or loop in system wiring that you have been doing.

I am sure some one will be along in a min. with a diagram for you.

you can wire it exactly the same as you would in T+E but generally its wired differently.

Imagine a 2way, with a switch wire at one switch and a feed at the other, then all you need is 2 cables for your strappers.

Okay just to clarify, i did a practice with this early in the year and we used just brown pvc conduit cables and obviously cpc to wire up a 2 way lighting circuit. Do you need to use any blue pvc conduit cable? Or is it all brown? Im confused

Hi Kiwi

Blue is nuetral, so no it does not need to go to the switches but straight from the Consumer Unit to the light (if only one) and on to other lights if more.

Kiwi do you have the Heinemann Electrical Installations Level 2 book ?

If so there is a diagram on page 127 showing the wiring for 2 way in conduit.

no i havent im afraid i have the brian scaddan level 2 2330 book! The only heinmann one they have at my library is level 3, would you be able to scan it?

thanks android thats great,

What do you mean sleeve brown with brown sleeving? Its already brown though.

hi m8

i would do as follows all in singles cables i.e brown,blue and green yellow

after installing conduits

single brown from c/u to switch 1 into com terminal

2 more single browns from sw1 to sw2 stappers connected into l1 and l2 at both sws

single brown from sw2 com terminal up to 1st light then looped to next light this is switched live.

then single blue (nuetral) from c/u to 1st light then looped to next light

Then single green yellow (earth) needs to go from c/u to each accessorie i.e both switches and both lights.

Thanks superspark that is great and thanks everyone for the help! Why does wiring have to be different in conduit anyway?

Thanks superspark that is great and thanks everyone for the help! Why does wiring have to be different in conduit anyway?
Just lets you drag the correct coloured wire to the destination. It's not that different when you think about it.

:D

That was viewed as the "proper" way to do things at one time. Many new builds were/are wired that way with single and earth PVC/PVC (L+CPC and N+cpc) this enabled wiring with NO joints or connections other then at switches and light fittings.

As the cost was equal to Twin and earth (or more) it became practice to use just T&E (1 reel to buy instead of 2 or 3) with junction boxes, and then moved on to the loop in system commonly used today.

All 3 methods can still be acceptable(If junction box method then these must be accessible unless crimped etc.)

hi m8i would do as follows all in singles cables i.e brown,blue and green yellow

after installing conduits

single brown from c/u to switch 1 into com terminal

2 more single browns from sw1 to sw2 stappers connected into l1 and l2 at both sws

single brown from sw2 com terminal up to 1st light then looped to next light this is switched live.

then single blue (nuetral) from c/u to 1st light then looped to next light

Then single green yellow (earth) needs to go from c/u to each accessorie i.e both switches and both lights.
Not that I do a lot of conduit work....

Is there any real point in taking an earth to a class 2 switch??? assuming PVC conduit is used.

It may be replaced by a metal clad type in the future, hence regs require cpc to be taken to ALL points.