Wooden housing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky999

Reaction score
hi guys just wondering doing more houses with all wood inside no bricked up walls.

Just some thoughts on what u think of this new way of building and do u prefer or dislike them.

I dont mind them no capping or drilling boxs on the wall, but more work for puttin noggins in or what ever u may call them.

Its the insulation that's the problem

Cant beat timber frame for speed (which is actually a problem I get less money for doing them and need more to keep me going )

There was some talk from the IEE about thermal effects on cables in lofts due to the increased amount of insulation now recomended in roofs (100mm now increased to 250mm i think).

2.5mm lighting circuits anyone? :eek:

Celotex types are ok. On a refurb we are at now, the builder is using expanded polystyrene.
I was told by a few leccies now that u cant mix polystyrene and PVC it reacts over time and the pvc corrodes ,or disintegrates ... ?:|

think i need to do a little experiment to find out once and for all .......

I was told by a few leccies now that u cant mix polystyrene and PVC it reacts over time and the pvc corrodes ,or disintegrates ... ?:| think i need to do a little experiment to find out once and for all .......
That is very true Mike. Have you seen the section (correction) in the regs on it, Mate?

:|

There was some talk from the IEE about thermal effects on cables in lofts due to the increased amount of insulation now recomended in roofs (100mm now increased to 250mm i think).2.5mm lighting circuits anyone? :eek:
If that's the case we'll have ceiling roses, the size of the round bases on the corner stand lights from yesteryear.

:eek:

That is very true Mike. Have you seen the section (correction) in the regs on it, Mate? :|
no dude i havent , but i will , never seen any corrosive action from it mind and come accross a few installs with it ???

why dont they make some sort of cover for the cables, like u have the fireproof caps for spotlights ,why not make a cover for the cables ???? expense and time would be a factor tho ?? Why dont these boffins get together when making insulation or other "really good ideas" and factor in everyday realities like the wiring??? ill stop rambling now .hehehehehehehe:D

If that's the case we'll have ceiling roses, the size of the round bases on the corner stand lights from yesteryear. :eek:
dont remember them mukka im way too young and good lookin :^O

no dude i havent , but i will , never seen any corrosive action from it mind and come accross a few installs with it ??? why dont they make some sort of cover for the cables, like u have the fireproof caps for spotlights ,why not make a cover for the cables ???? expense and time would be a factor tho ?? Why dont these boffins get together when making insulation or other "really good ideas" and factor in everyday realities like the wiring??? ill stop rambling now .hehehehehehehe:D
They mention whether a cable one half cover by insulation or both sides cover with insulation.

There are a few ways to deal with it:

Use capping to cover cabeles, clipped to joists.

Use pvc conduit, trunking etc - same method as above.

:)

Going back to OP's post.

In circustances of wooden framed houses, where the walls contain insulation, I - personally, believe that cables would be better run in felxible conduit.

:)

I was watching one of these american house building progs" god help me " and they had built in a cable trough all thru the house with access points ,what a bloody good idea, it was a timber frame house..... and shedload of thermal insulation everywhere .I had a look in the regs and it didnt say nothing about the reaction between pvc and polystyrene ??? ill ave another glance .

I don't think they mention pvc and polystyrene in the regs you will find it in the on site guild. As of the 17th cables run in insulation for more than 400mm will need derating by 50% . Lights will be fine as 1.5 derated will still be more than 6 amps

Sockets will need 4mm rings or 20amp rings or 4mm 20amp radials