Work Boots

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I have said this before but here it is again, my knees are shot ,should have always worn kneepads not just now its too late. :(
Same here

Now use pads but as the old saying goes "not a lot of good shutting the gate after the horse has bolted"

As for boots I use Dickies..only problem they go through laces like theres no tomorrow due to the metal loops.

http://mammothworkwear.com/safety-footwear/waterproof-boots/dickies-thames-waterproof-steel-toe-boots--free-socks-p450.htm

I just know I'm going to regret asking this but here goes:
Why? do you go around kicking live Busbars?
do you think Im going to incriminate myself that easy?

have had a few big bangs in the past, lost a few of my toenails at one time,

why give it an easy path if you dont have too,

plus on compex you are deffo NOT allowed metal.

maybe just my paranoia, just wont have steelies, plus, they are ******' cold in the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh it's me knees!!

Down on me knees again, "In training for St. Peter Sparkie?" (thinks) P*ss off and let me get on will you.

Tip 1) get a bit of off-cut kingspan from the chippy and write on it "Electrician's prayer mat".

Tip 2) Get one of those cheap gardening mats

Tip 3) Sew a pair of old jean back pockets on the knees of your boiler suit and stuff with rag

Tip 4) a short bit of plank to span the joists means your knees arn't perched on the sharp corners

Those fancy strap on pads slide about after a while and the straps cut off the blood supply in your tootsies.

Remember lads, safety, it's one hand for the customer and one for you when climbing a ladder.

:put the kettle on

For boots I now have a pair of Lowa british army boots in desert colour from my brother which are probably the best boots I have ever worn, very comfortable with lost of support in the ankles, really can't fault them, according to my brother they are very hard wearing but they are very pricey though (if you have to buy them). I have just thrown away my dock work boots as have now packed that in and had a pair of DM riggers which I have had for well over a year and they are showing signs of wear but with the abuse I have given them in a very harsh environment is really good as all the pairs I had before this would only last 6 months tops so if I had to buy a pair I'd definatly be looking for DM's. I've found the best place to get PPE type stuff is Arco, always a reasonable price and plenty of deals and offers all the time.

just shows how careful you have to be.

i hope those pratts with the genny got what they deserve. looking back, i bet you wished you had shorted the lines just incase (was this a DNO repair?)

was a private industrial estate.the incomer at the transformer was isolated by DNO. rest of cabling was private,(ie, the bit we were repairing)

if I remember correctly the guy that authorised the genny, along with the guy that connected it both got sacked.

all unit holders had been informed of the power outtage, but they decided to "get one over" I suppose.

it was a very funny set up though, so Im not sure about the full outcome.

as for case one, I really dont know what could have been done to avoid that sort of thing, short of stopping people from working, it really was just a freak accident/unlucky.
the person who connected the genny should have had more sense. even if you were not working on the lines at the time, if he powered it up, it would have powered the entire estate, and may have been way too small for the load

for the first case, was the part he was working on with the spanner live or dead? (and good thing you have your safety gear on - sounds like it could have been much worse if you didnt)

they were extending trunking up through the rest of the building if memory serves correctly,so no cables actually in the part they were working on, but I suppose technically it could be said live, as the original trunking contained cables. any other time the spanner would have got stuck somewhere inaccessible.

just makes me a little paranoid now about some of the things I see being done.
does sound like a complete accident that couldnt have been predicted

they were extending trunking up through the rest of the building if memory serves correctly,so no cables actually in the part they were working on, but I suppose technically it could be said live, as the original trunking contained cables. any other time the spanner would have got stuck somewhere inaccessible.

just makes me a little paranoid now about some of the things I see being done.
I woldn't waste money on a lottery ticket if I were you, with luck like that you ain't gonna win!

Welllllllll - this is going to go down well.

If I`m on site, or doing industrial; I`ve got the dewalt safety trainers. Can`t wear the boots - stuffs me back up; and thats already mostly knackered!

If I`m doing domestic, I tend to wear "cotton traders" slip-on suede thingies - nice thick rubber soles, give well when you`re squatting with your feet bent double, light, cheapish, comfy, long lasting, smart looking, and did I say they`re comfy?

Alright - protection for toes isn`t high, but if I wore steelies for 2 days I wouldn`t work for a week afterwards .

as for knees, I`m on no. 2 of sparkie1`s list - gardening mat - I carry one everywhere. The kingspan isn`t for kneeling on - it goes under your bum on the 10L paint tubs when you`re having your sarnies........ :) :) :)