ze reading

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiles1

Reaction score
Hi all, got to do work on a basement flat that shares its incoming with flats above, just curious about ze reading because obviously i cant disconnect earth and take reading, so just wondered what other electricians do or advise. Cheers all and many thanks. kiles

just because when filling out the cert its not going to be a true reading and this is an address for my nic so need to get what is advised

its the best you can get under the circumstances. its not reasonable to request everyone to go without power for a certain time whilst you remove main earthing conductors. your assessor will be well aware of this and will expect you to take a reading at DB instead of Ze

Many thanks mate, it was playing on my mind a bit, I dont want the spanish inquisition (or what ever you call it)

but if i lived in the place not getting the work done, id probably not want my power turned off for that. it may only be a minute test, but computers would need shut down, sky box may miss recordings of programs etc.

You can do the Ze test with power on and earth CONNECTED.

Do not disconnect the earth, you will have to make a note on the cert that the Ze was tested with earth connected unless you can get all flat owners to agree a distruption of power supply.

Or you could just record the DNO value for the type of supply and take the reading from the DB your working on like Andy has said.

Latest posts