Ze testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
guys

next week I will be doing a PIR on one annex of a very large hotel. But as the DNO origin is in a switchroom next to the substation will I have to shut the whole hotel down to carry out the Ze test?? (600 rooms)

Can I call the origin at the point of entry into the annex im testing? (80 rooms) or can I just use the maximum values of Ze given by the DNO for any Zs calcs that maybe required

thanks

Ze should be taken at installation, with all bonding disconnected, but in certain cases, it is possibly to test at board and make a note of where it was tested and why. you could try calling DNO and see if they have any records of the actual value, and put that down and mark 'by enquiry'

It would not be advisable to disconnect any earthing of an installation of this size.

Batty

and 4 digit welcome to the forum.

I agree with batty on this one. You could do the ze at origin with all bonding in place.

Talk to the manager and ask if possible to timescale the pir so you can carry out any dead tests that do not, or cause minimum interference to the hotels running.

The risk of removing the main earthing during a test is not one I would take unless there was no one in the hotel.

I agree with batty on this one. You could do the ze at origin with all bonding in place. Talk to the manager and ask if possible to timescale the pir so you can carry out any dead tests that do not, or cause minimum interference to the hotels running.

The risk of removing the main earthing during a test is not one I would take unless there was no one in the hotel.
smash the fire alarm glass first...

every one gets out...

cut the power...

should just about have time to get Ze before the 999 boys turn up with their big boys water pistols! ]:) :^O

smash the fire alarm glass first...every one gets out...

cut the power...

should just about have time to get Ze before the 999 boys turn up with their big boys water pistols! ]:) :^O
now thats a good idea when they dont want to turn the power off... maybe get the van signwritten different each time so the firemen dont get suspicious...

smash the fire alarm glass first...every one gets out...

cut the power...

should this not be posted in the Tips and Tricks of the Trade?:pApplaud Smiley

In this case it would be a no brainer for me.... preferred method in the big book is "by enquiry". Nuff said?

When it comes to turning some equipment off the whinging will start never mind all of it off. Have funPray

There will never really be a suitable time to switch off all the power unless the hotel is closed for refurb. DNO will probably give the standard answers you will find in the regs book.

Sounds like a fun job!

PIR - want to do Ze test, but not able to disconnect earthing conductor?

Do Ze test with earthing conductor connected and call it Zdb (impedance at distribution board). Cross out Ze on schedules and replace with Zdb.

We`ve recently had this problem, at a fairly large hotel.

The incomer, and indeed local (on-site) sub-station are all locked off.

You have (I hope) the previous inspection report? Copy main fuse, EC size, Ze etc from that, suffixed "NV" (not verified).

HTH

KME

Limitations!!! get the hotel manager to agree (which he/she will) not to take a proper Ze and put that on the cert.