Rcd's in series..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

First off, it is generally agreed is it not, that an RCD is about the most unreliable piece of kit [Ha, you thought i was going to say something else then!!] there is.

Soooooo, on a TT system, say you want to make absolutely definitely positive that nobody gets a lethal shock, [think outdoor applications, so no EQ zone] is it, or would it, be ok to use an RCD incomer, [in a domestic CU] and ALSO an RCBO to protect sockets???

Not in the least interested in discrimination between devices, so BOTH devices would be 30ma ones, and the upstream one would NOT be a type "S" one, as there is only one "none lighting" circuit, [the socket circuit i want to protect] and if the lights did go off, it would not make the slightest bit of difference, as building only used in broad daylight, so the regs about discrimination to avoid danger, definitely do not apply.....

What you all think??

john...

Why would you want to install two RCDs which are the same in series?

There is no problem in having two RCDs in series (think redundant protection). I have done it in the past, where I`m fairly sure the RCDs won`t be tested regularly. I know Sidewinder does this on a frequent basis, for the same reason. It is useless as a discriminatory measure; but will provide a greater degree of protection, in the case of an RCd sticking / failing.

KME

i have had a couple fail on me recently, one too sensitive and one that just would not trip, i doubt many people test them frequently

Hi All,

Thanks for that!!! Yes, agreed, RCD's are not the best!!! I looked at someones installation recently, [A three phase TT'ed supply] in a factory, and sure enough, an RCD at the origin, and sure enough, it did not work!!! Probably never even had its button pressed, never mind tested properly.

Why TT?? ; Because they were at one time, all separate units in the one tin shed with lots of supplies.

Where you have a "multiple occupancy" tin shed, the DNO will only PME one of them, if any....

Anyway, Zs at the DB's of the TT supply was very low though, as a result of being bonded to the same tin shed as the "other" 200A PME supply!!!! So all OCPD's would operate ok, just not cut off the neutral..... Still, i suppose the TT supply, is now a "TNCS" by default, just using the other supplies neutral/earth!!!

Anyway, the isolator for this TT supply, has the name of another, different firm on it, so you ignore that one, switch off the "right" isolator, [with the correct firms name on it], open a DB, stick your hand in and get killed!!!! Very recommended.!!!! [moral; check dead properly..]

I have told them that this is dangerous, [the whole system is dangerous!!!] and, as all the TT system operates is one welder, one small saw and a light bulb, i am going to disconnect the TT system altogether for them, and put it all on the other 200A supply. Save them paying two standing charges too!!

Anyway, back to the RCD's

As Zeespark says, i know there are various "views" as to whether on a TT system, a "protective device" has to disconnect all live conductors in the event of a fault [in the way that an isolator on such a system must] but what if you have the DP disconnection "facility" for want of a better term, provided by the RCD used as an incomer in the CU [lets hope it works!!] but just a single pole RCBO in series with it as "backup" ??? Bit of a "half measure" perhaps??

Agreed, without question that a DP one [RCBO in series with the RCD] would be a better job...

I know that a lot of people get all worried about TNCS supplies, and issues connected with them [we all know what they are] and would rather TT things, but it scares me a bit to be honest..... At least with TNCS an earth fault will disconnect everything very quickly, but with TT, if the RCD does not operate, a fault to earth will "liven up" every exposed conductive part in the entire installation. What is the most likely?? A DNO neutral fault, or an RCD fault??? I know which one i would bet on....

Something i am working on at the moment, would, in my opinion, be MUCH better PME'd, but i am going to TT it all [lots of outbuildings in a field] purely as it is a more "conventional" way of doing things, hence the idea of RCD's in series..

When it all goes wrong, much better to be "conventional" than "controversial" M'lud !!!!

Since you are all wondering, i will describe the layout, and you can all comment on what you think..

Right, Incoming supply is a three phase PME one. It, and the meter, are housed in a remote brick "Meter house" I am not going to use the DNO earth terminal.

Leading from this, is a 70 Metre submain that feeds two separate DB's in two, separate, externally mounted, metal, IP rated enclosures.

Back at the origin, immediately after the meter, will be a four pole RCD in a plastic enclosure. This will double as a four pole isolator too.

Next to this, will be a three pole MCCB to protect the submain. I know it is a requirement to be able to disconnect the neutral, and in the past i have used a "neutral link" to achieve this, mounted next to the MCCB, but, in this case, as the RCD/isolator disconnects the neutral 6 inches away anyway, i do not think this would be neccessary.

The submain, [and in turn the metal enclosures and the other SWA cables leading from them] will all be TT'ed back at the origin. [Where the RCD is]

I have a great unease about this, because, in the event of an earth fault in the submain and a fault in the RCD, the enclosures will be live......

I would have preferred to TT the submain, BUT INSULATE the incoming SWA from the enclosures, and then fit rods adjacent to them, and fit the DB's with RCD incomers. Idea being, that even if the submain were damaged, and the RCD at the origin DID fail to operate, the enclosures would remain "dead"

BUT, what put me off this idea, is that sometime, some "know it all" is going to come along and say;

"Ah, the submain is protected from the origin, the metal enclosures have their own RCD and rod, BUT, if there was an earth fault in the few inches "jump" from the end of the submain to the incomer, the enclosure would be live, as the RCD cannot see faults before it"

Quite correct, but less chance of a fault in 6 inches of cable going through an insulating gland and then surrounded in a bit of plastic trunking entering into the enclosure than a fault in 70 Meters of submain. But there we are..

So, forgetting that idea, the submain will feed "ordinary" four pole incomers in the two DB's

The DB's will then feed [by means of more SWA] 5 little out buildings. What i am going to do, is to feed these with the SWA, but into PLASTIC consumer units, each with their own rod and RCD. [and maybe RCBO too]

Idea here is, to prevent an earth fault in one outbuilding [coupled with an RCD failure at the origin] transmitting itself to the other outbuildings, in the way that it would if they were all SWA'ed together, with just the one RCD at the origin.

In other words, a fault in one building, will not transmit itself to other parts of the installation, but will remain "in" that building, and not shock people that might be touching exposed parts in any of the other buildings....

Comments please!!!!!

john..

87, sorry, but I stopped reading about 1/2 way down,

are you sure it is PME?

could you measure it and be sure?

if you are sure it is PME then why not carry the PME throughout the whole install?

if, on the other hand it is 'only' TNCS then I can understand your concern, but, there are other ways around this,

BTW, Im not disregarding your redundant RCD protection for one second, I think it is an excellent idea, belt and braces,,,

Hi Steps, sorry for the long post!!!

Supply is definitely a PME one, or at least as close to PME as the DNO get..... hopefully "proper" PME.

I would truly like to PME the lot, much better i think, but as it is all little sheds, you might know it is ok, I might know it is ok, but what i want to avoid, is someone coming along to do an EICR in the future, and saying "You cannot have that!!!! It is not allowed!!!" Exporting PME blah blah blah!!!"

Soooooo, in this instance, i think the least "controversial" set up might be, if not the "best" less hassle all round!!!!

john...

adequate SUBSTANTIAL labelling may be in order, and well worded certificates.

could you get some decent hard vinyl engraved labels made up and screwed to each and every board,

something along the lines of

"LOCALISED AND REMOTE PME IS IN PLACE THROUGHOUT THIS INSTALLATION, GREAT CARE SHOULD BE TAKEN BEFORE UNDERTAKING ANY ADJUSTMENTS OR ALTERATIONS TO ANY PART OF THIS INSTALLATION ESPECIALLY THE EARTHING SYSTEM"

just a thought. :|

Hi All,Thanks for that!!! Yes, agreed, RCD's are not the best!!! I looked at someones installation recently, [A three phase TT'ed supply] in a factory, and sure enough, an RCD at the origin, and sure enough, it did not work!!! Probably never even had its button pressed, never mind tested properly.

There may be a reason other than that of the RCD as to why it wont work, especially in a factory.

Why TT?? ; Because they were at one time, all separate units in the one tin shed with lots of supplies.

What sort of tin sheds are we talking about?

Where you have a "multiple occupancy" tin shed, the DNO will only PME one of them, if any....

Are these tin shed occupancy's?

Anyway, Zs at the DB's of the TT supply was very low though, as a result of being bonded to the same tin shed as the "other" 200A PME supply!!!! So all OCPD's would operate ok, just not cut off the neutral..... Still, i suppose the TT supply, is now a "TNCS" by default, just using the other supplies neutral/earth!!!

How and why are these tin shed bonded? It will always be a TT.

Anyway, the isolator for this TT supply, has the name of another, different firm on it, so you ignore that one, switch off the "right" isolator, [with the correct firms name on it], open a DB, stick your hand in and get killed!!!! Very recommended.!!!! [moral; check dead properly..]

I have told them that this is dangerous, [the whole system is dangerous!!!] and, as all the TT system operates is one welder, one small saw and a light bulb, i am going to disconnect the TT system altogether for them, and put it all on the other 200A supply. Save them paying two standing charges too!!

As Zeespark says, i know there are various "views" as to whether on a TT system, a "protective device" has to disconnect all live conductors in the event of a fault [in the way that an isolator on such a system must] but what if you have the DP disconnection "facility" for want of a better term, provided by the RCD used as an incomer in the CU [lets hope it works!!] but just a single pole RCBO in series with it as "backup" ??? Bit of a "half measure" perhaps??

ADS only requires disconnection of the line, it depend on the designer as to its other purposes if any.

Agreed, without question that a DP one [RCBO in series with the RCD] would be a better job...

Again it depend upon what you need to achieve, level of discrimination, protection against fire

I know that a lot of people get all worried about TNCS supplies, and issues connected with them [we all know what they are] and would rather TT things, but it scares me a bit to be honest..... At least with TNCS an earth fault will disconnect everything very quickly, but with TT, if the RCD does not operate, a fault to earth will "liven up" every exposed conductive part in the entire installation. What is the most likely?? A DNO neutral fault, or an RCD fault??? I know which one i would bet on....

Well many RCD faults on commercial are to do with the incorrect RCD for that application.

Something i am working on at the moment, would, in my opinion, be MUCH better PME'd, but i am going to TT it all [lots of outbuildings in a field] purely as it is a more "conventional" way of doing things, hence the idea of RCD's in series..

Well your DB circuit ADS can be met by a TD RCD, so why not have discrimination too, have the TD as your back up

When it all goes wrong, much better to be "conventional" than "controversial" M'lud !!!!

Since you are all wondering, i will describe the layout, and you can all comment on what you think..

Right, Incoming supply is a three phase PME one. It, and the meter, are housed in a remote brick "Meter house" I am not going to use the DNO earth terminal.

And what are your reasons as to why your not using the PME?

Leading from this, is a 70 Metre submain that feeds two separate DB's in two, separate, externally mounted, metal, IP rated enclosures.

Back at the origin, immediately after the meter, will be a four pole RCD in a plastic enclosure. This will double as a four pole isolator too.

What Type are you suggesting?

Next to this, will be a three pole MCCB to protect the submain. I know it is a requirement to be able to disconnect the neutral, and in the past i have used a "neutral link" to achieve this, mounted next to the MCCB, but, in this case, as the RCD/isolator disconnects the neutral 6 inches away anyway, i do not think this would be neccessary.

The submain, [and in turn the metal enclosures and the other SWA cables leading from them] will all be TT'ed back at the origin. [Where the RCD is]

I have a great unease about this, because, in the event of an earth fault in the submain and a fault in the RCD, the enclosures will be live......

I would have preferred to TT the submain, BUT INSULATE the incoming SWA from the enclosures, and then fit rods adjacent to them, and fit the DB's with RCD incomers. Idea being, that even if the submain were damaged, and the RCD at the origin DID fail to operate, the enclosures would remain "dead"

Did you not say the submain was TT? Why not leave it PME?

BUT, what put me off this idea, is that sometime, some "know it all" is going to come along and say;

"Ah, the submain is protected from the origin, the metal enclosures have their own RCD and rod, BUT, if there was an earth fault in the few inches "jump" from the end of the submain to the incomer, the enclosure would be live, as the RCD cannot see faults before it"

Whats wrong with utilizing section 412?

Quite correct, but less chance of a fault in 6 inches of cable going through an insulating gland and then surrounded in a bit of plastic trunking entering into the enclosure than a fault in 70 Meters of submain. But there we are..

So, forgetting that idea, the submain will feed "ordinary" four pole incomers in the two DB's

The DB's will then feed [by means of more SWA] 5 little out buildings. What i am going to do, is to feed these with the SWA, but into PLASTIC consumer units, each with their own rod and RCD. [and maybe RCBO too]

Idea here is, to prevent an earth fault in one outbuilding [coupled with an RCD failure at the origin] transmitting itself to the other outbuildings, in the way that it would if they were all SWA'ed together, with just the one RCD at the origin.

In other words, a fault in one building, will not transmit itself to other parts of the installation, but will remain "in" that building, and not shock people that might be touching exposed parts in any of the other buildings....

Comments please!!!!!

john..
Comments, a little less ramble lol :)

The only "problem" with two RCD's in series, is how do you (properly) test the Second one?

Surely only by temporarily bypassing the first one, which could be a big job.

The only "problem" with two RCD's in series, is how do you (properly) test the Second one?Surely only by temporarily bypassing the first one, which could be a big job.
Why would you need to bypass anything?

Why would you need to bypass anything?
Because when you run an RCD test on the second one, both will almost certainly trip, so how do you know if the trip time you measure is the first or second one tripping?

Or am I being the one a bit thick here?

Hi Plumber!!

Thank you for your most excellent answer!!

I Do not know how to work the "quote" thingy, so I will do the best I can!!

Hi All,

Thanks for that!!! Yes, agreed, RCD's are not the best!!! I looked at someones installation recently, [A three phase TT'ed supply] in a factory, and sure enough, an RCD at the origin, and sure enough, it did not work!!! Probably never even had its button pressed, never mind tested properly.

There may be a reason other than that of the RCD as to why it wont work, especially in a factory.

Yes, but even the test button did not work, so I thought it pointless to investigate further..

What sort of tin sheds are we talking about?

It is a portal frame steel structure

Are these tin shed occupancy's?

I think I have misled you here. It is ONE big continuous shed, that was formerly divided into sections, each with their own supply. They now have 5 or 6 supplies, but only two in use.

How and why are these tin shed bonded? It will always be a TT.

The 200A pme supply is bonded to the framework in the usual way. So is the TT supply. The last bit about TNCS by default was a joke!!

ADS only requires disconnection of the line, it depend on the designer as to its other purposes if any.

Yes, I would agree

Because when you run an RCD test on the second one, both will almost certainly trip, so how do you know if the trip time you measure is the first or second one tripping?Or am I being the one a bit thick here?
I see no reason for the upstream device to trip, either on the test button or when testing with a meter.

There should be no reason for it to trip, but they do!

I install a lot of redundant series RCD's and there is no telling which one trips first.

Too much for my brain to take in - but just a few thoughts:-

The RCD's are not in series - they are in parallel in electrical terms. Who's a pedantic little ****!

A N-E fault will screw up both RCD's on a TT system - trip will occur when a substantial current is being taken. Just hope it's a good fault as this would be DIY PME!

Discrimination is a problem. You may not know which RCD/RCBO trips first.

I haven't found that many faulty RCDs and those I find tend to fail safe -trip too easily. Perhaps you've had different experience.

Perhaps all TT installations should have a time delay RCD isolator.

There should be no reason for it to trip, but they do!I install a lot of redundant series RCD's and there is no telling which one trips first.
How you testing them Paul?

Latest posts