Just Qualified And Need Help Please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike170681

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have recently changed career I ran pubs and resturants for the last 15 years and decided enough was enough, so I saved up and paid for a intensive electricians course I passed all the exams and practicals.

[SIZE=11pt]LOGIC Domestic Electrical Installer               [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]City & Guilds 2377                                          [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]City & Guilds 2382                                          [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]City & Guilds 2392                                          [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]City & Guilds 2393                                          [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]City & Guilds 2394                                           [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]City & Guilds 2395[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The course was very heavy on the [/SIZE]theory side but a little light on the practical. I'm very quick at picking things up but feel i could do with some more experience.

Does anyone know of anyone looking for an electricians mate, or I'm happy to do some days for free.

Also What level ECS card could i get or would it be better to just get a CSCS card.

happy new year

Regards

Mike

There are loads of people just like you these days. The problem is that without experience it is almost impossible to find a job, they do not tell you that when they advertise these courses.

As for the CSCS card, it is no good just applying for a normal CSCS card because it has to cover the work you are actually carrying out, therefore you will need an electrically biased card which is the ECS/JIB card. You will need to do the health and safety exam beforehand then just apply via the JIB for your card. Most employers would want an electrician with a gold card which is NVQ level 3, having the qualifications without experience may prevent you from obtaining one but you should in the first instance contact the JIB and make proper enquiries.

Hi & welcome Mike

You "might" be eligible for a JIB ECS "Trainee card" with those qualifications as long as you are studying on the C&G 2365/2357 qualifications. As Manator said above to obtain the JIB ECS "Electrician card" you would need to have done the Level 3 NVQ 2357 or 2356 which is the older NVQ.

Here is a link to the requirements for the trainee card. ECS Card types

Neil

thats the problem with these courses, you may be qualified, but youre unlikely to get a job as a sparky. look around the forum, you will find they are not well liked and do not do what the are advertised as

as for the 'work for free', i would only consider it if you paid me for my time teaching you...

Hi there,

I have recently changed career I ran pubs and resturants for the last 15 years and decided enough was enough, so I saved up and paid for a intensive electricians course I passed all the exams and practicals.

[SIZE=11pt]LOGIC Domestic Electrical Installer               [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]City & Guilds 2377                                          [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]City & Guilds 2382                                          [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]City & Guilds 2392                                          [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]City & Guilds 2393                                          [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]City & Guilds 2394                                           [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]City & Guilds 2395[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The course was very heavy on the [/SIZE]theory side but a little light on the practical. I'm very quick at picking things up but feel i could do with some more experience.

Does anyone know of anyone looking for an electricians mate, or I'm happy to do some days for free.

Also What level ECS card could i get or would it be better to just get a CSCS card.

happy new year

Regards

Mike

Unfortunately although you have now acquired some qualifications some of them are not actually intended as initial training for someone with no previous experience. If you look at the City & Guilds website and put in your course numbers you will find the C&G's own guidance suggest they are for practicing electricians not unexperienced persons who need to gain the basics first. http://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/building-services-industry#fil=uk&acc=10310-electricalinstallation.  So as Andy says many companies don't hold much value to these intensive training programs. They can be overpriced and not actually fit for purpose. You may well be quick at picking up things for an intense course structure to pass a few exams, but it can also show that you are not quite so quick at researching what is actually required within the industry you are trying to get into. 10 minutes checking the C&G website and job adverts for electricians would show that all lot of the qualifications you have chosen to purchase are not the ones companies are looking for when they want to recruit an inexperienced electricians mate. I wish you well with your search but you may find it not quite as easy as your training company said in their sales patter.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts