‘Live’ face plate screws

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Confuseddotcom

Reaction score
Afternoon
I’ve just moved house and a double socket in bedroom isn’t working. It has a single 2.5mm cable inside. With a neon screwdriver, brown shows live, with blue and earth not lighting neon up, like I’d expect. Socket doesn’t work, as in nothing plugged into it works. However, when I was using neon driver to flick out the little plastic screw head covers, it lit up, like the screws are live…wtf?! What is going on here? I don’t understand how a live cable, which seems to be spurred off the ring via junction box, isn’t powering the faceplate

Unfortunately a neon screwdriver isn't a great device to use, you need some proper test gear, so I would suggest an electrician is needed to a) check the screws aren't Live and b) to check the power coming in. It could be a faulty socket face plate or something else.

You will probably find the neutral and earth are not connected at the other end, and what you saw with the neon was induced voltage.

Proper test equipment is needed but the obvious thing if you know where this junction box is, would be to check all the connections in there, AFTER TURNING ALL THE POWER OFF.

As others have mentioned a "neon screwdriver" is NOT a recognised voltage indicator device within the electrical industry...
Or for Health & Safety to confirm that you are working on a safely isolated circuit...

In addition to the plug-in socket tester Binky mentioned....
A two-probe voltage tester is a much more useful (and safer) item of test equipment....

e.g. something like.... (other brands / prices are available.)
https://www.screwfix.com/p/kewtech-kt1780-ac-dc-two-pole-voltage-tester-690v/53370

If you do buy a socket tester, please let us know what it shows before you do anything. (I have a concern and may end up defending the humble neon screwdriver)

If there really is neither neutral nor earth connected then I would expect the plug tester (or any other two connection tester) to show absolutely nothing.
Only a neon, or contactless pen will show a solitary live.

If there really is neither neutral nor earth connected then I would expect the plug tester (or any other two connection tester) to show absolutely nothing.

A standard two probe voltage tester will give an equivalent voltage present warning for a solitary live, with only one probe connected..
https://www.screwfix.com/p/kewtech-kt1780-ac-dc-two-pole-voltage-tester-690v/53370

And it will also prove dead more reliably than a neon or contactless pen.

I'll put my head above the parapet and await the incoming.

I have a motto, "Never touch anything that my neon screwdriver has not touched first" for exactly that reason.

I'll put my head above the parapet and await the incoming.

I have a motto, "Never touch anything that my neon screwdriver has not touched first" for exactly that reason.
I used to have a lovely little volt stick with a led torch built in that clipped to a belt / pocket, it was great for a quick check and certainly saved me from a few nasty surprises. Must buy another one.

Hi everyone
Thanks for all the replies. I’m away for few weeks, somewhere WiFi is more miss and miss than hit n miss 🙄once back I’ll use socket tester n post results

most 2 probe voltage detecotors will warn if a single probe touches a live conductor regardless of the other probe

Status
Not open for further replies.