10mm Crimping Tool

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vandalay

Reaction score
Need to buy crimping tool to extend a cooker point by a couple of meters , been searching the net the ones I have seen quite expensive so can anyone recommend one to me so at least the money I spend will be well spent.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers PC thats more half the price of the ones I found. On a related note to this going through other posts on this subject does anyone think it is wrong to make a compression joint in the cable.I am moving the switch from above the cooker to the socket level at the side of appliance, this is going to be my assessment job so wanted it to right.

nothing wrong. i do it all the time. use heatshrink over the crimp, and heatshrink over the entire join

you can either have all 3 crimps side by side, or stagger them for a narrower (but longer) joint

Cheers PC thats more half the price of the ones I found. On a related note to this going through other posts on this subject does anyone think it is wrong to make a compression joint in the cable.I am moving the switch from above the cooker to the socket level at the side of appliance, this is going to be my assessment job so wanted it to right.
Not sure if I would use that as an assessment job really you would be better off pulling cable back in ceiling joint there and then rerouting down wall to new position. Is that a possibility. Is cabling going to be surface or are you chopping in then plastering.

Andy,

Where possible I would always stagger, as i have seen heat shrink fail as its dielectric strength is not as high as the insulation on the cores.

Paul

Andy,

I'm not exactly aware of the specs.

However, I have experienced this situation.

What is the dielectric strength, typically quoted in kV/mm IIRC?

Paul

p.s. not picking or owt, just trying to further the knowledge base.

Also, I'm rubbish with forum software so i struggle with the smileys & things.

I can build p.c.'s, program databases, write computer programs, PLC & CNC code, but this forum software, oh & Sage gets the better of me!

Paul ; -)

i never done this heat shrinking thing-a-me-bob, just a few questions on it

1, what size for what cable? does it shrink a lot or only half the diamiter?

2, do you always use the outer adesive stuff over all of it? and i guess uou have to put this on first and slide it down lol

3, whats the best tool to use for heat?

thanks

paul

The common heat shrink is either 2 or 3 times reduction.

Some have "glue" in some dont.

I have not regularly used the "glue" type.

Not sure what you mean about the outer adhesive stuff?

I carry a gas soldering iron in my box which gets me away most of the time.

However, a hot air paint stripper / heat gun is very good, I do often have one on the van but 110V versions are expensive!

Paul

Andy,I'm not exactly aware of the specs.

However, I have experienced this situation.

What is the dielectric strength, typically quoted in kV/mm IIRC?

Paul

p.s. not picking or owt, just trying to further the knowledge base.

Also, I'm rubbish with forum software so i struggle with the smileys & things.

I can build p.c.'s, program databases, write computer programs, PLC & CNC code, but this forum software, oh & Sage gets the better of me!

Paul ; -)
its used upto 69KV.... so good insulator!

click for full spec

No don't do much of that!

More often soldering terminals or heat shrinking.

I do mostly maintenance, repairs & fault finding!

The rest we won't go into.

Paul

Andy,

That's self amalgamating tape, not heat shrink when it gets to my end.

Messed up link?

Paul

i never done this heat shrinking thing-a-me-bob, just a few questions on it1, what size for what cable? does it shrink a lot or only half the diamiter?

2, do you always use the outer adesive stuff over all of it? and i guess uou have to put this on first and slide it down lol

3, whats the best tool to use for heat?

thanks

paul
get a selection. for covering the crimp, around 6mm dia will do. for outer insulation, 12.7mm will cover 1.5 & 2.5 T&E. iirc, i have 18mm for 6mm&10mmT&E. generally use adhesive lined for outer insulation (as this makes a waterproof joint - non adhesive does not

for long lengths to be insulated, you could use non-adhesive for the main part, and adhesive at the ends after to make it water tight. or cover with rubber tape

most of the time i wrap the crimps/conductors with a few layers of insulation tape before final heatshrink

i have a small gas soldering iron/blowtorch for smaller size, and blow torch on low flame for everything else

Andy,

I have rolls of this stuff it is amazing!

However, I'm still not convinced about the dielectric strength (the Welsh sparky) of heat shring, say thickness 0.5 mm even at the strength of that tape it would not take much to reduse the insulation proerties at a nick.

Say 33MV/m that equates to 33kV/mm, take a 3/4mm nick that reduces it to 8.25kV.

OK well above what we would see, however if that happended at install then this could easily be reduced over time due to many environmental & mechanical factors.

Most of the failures I've seen have been on industrial machinery and almost certainly due to mechanical vibration damage.

It does not however stop the failure occurring.

Paul