10mm Crimping Tool

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks andy, will have to invest in some and have a go, are you taking the mick on the blowtorch?
i do use a blowtorch

ShowImage.aspx

keep the flame on very low, and dont stay in the same area too long, and youll be fine

scotch 23 tape

this is the cheapest place i know of

Andy,I have rolls of this stuff it is amazing!

However, I'm still not convinced about the dielectric strength (the Welsh sparky) of heat shring, say thickness 0.5 mm even at the strength of that tape it would not take much to reduse the insulation proerties at a nick.

Say 33MV/m that equates to 33kV/mm, take a 3/4mm nick that reduces it to 8.25kV.

OK well above what we would see, however if that happended at install then this could easily be reduced over time due to many environmental & mechanical factors.

Most of the failures I've seen have been on industrial machinery and almost certainly due to mechanical vibration damage.

It does not however stop the failure occurring.

Paul
i always use multiple layers of either rubber tape, insulation tape or heatshrink. or sometimes all 3. and sometimes one may be used more than once. overall, its probably more protected than the rest of the cable is

Not sure if I would use that as an assessment job really you would be better off pulling cable back in ceiling joint there and then rerouting down wall to new position. Is that a possibility. Is cabling going to be surface or are you chopping in then plastering.
The assessment job will be a CU change in the property, I am just tiding up the bits I think are unsafe (cooker switch 1m above hob) .I was going to joint it in wall and plaster over.

The assessment job will be a CU change in the property, I am just tiding up the bits I think are unsafe (cooker switch 1m above hob) .I was going to joint it in wall and plaster over.
Not good to do that cables will then not be in a safe zone so to speak.

Will be coming straight down in zone and behind cupboard.
so you are pulling cable out from switch then moving extended cable to new position but extending cable in wall. Why not extend cable above ceiling at least that way it will be accessable.

so you are pulling cable out from switch then moving extended cable to new position but extending cable in wall. Why not extend cable above ceiling at least that way it will be accessable.
A couple of other posters have suggested this so I will bow to my peers, make the joint above ceiling heatshrink it and scotch 23 it thanks to all:D

vandaly,

SORRY I think i may have hijacked your thread a little.

Not deliberate, just was hoping to as I said increase the knowledge base.

Paul

:)

A couple of other posters have suggested this so I will bow to my peers, make the joint above ceiling heatshrink it and scotch 23 it thanks to all:D
I cannot see point in doing a joint in wall if you can do it in the ceiling. If joint were to fail you would then have to chop plaster out and you can also show inspector on assessment which should give you a plus.

vandaly,SORRY I think i may have hijacked your thread a little.

Not deliberate, just was hoping to as I said increase the knowledge base.

Paul

:)
No worries at all mate, you are right about increasing knowledge , I had not ever heard about this Scotch23 tape (just ordered some) until it was brought up in this thread and have also read about a lot of pros and cons about different ways to do a job .

could not think of ordering anything at this time of night on the Fri of a bh weekend!

especially with 24x440 Carlsberg @