12 Years And It Still Lurks

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ate a home made chocolate pudding with cream and suddenly the old addiction reaches across time and starts that craving again that has been locked safely away in some  dark place  for the last 12 years .

Yes the old cigarette - nicotine habit reared its head after being kicked into touch when I thought I was going to die .

Well it can **** off again :red card   

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been a smoker, or addicted to anything so find it hard to understand the "problem"  but you have lived without it for 12 years. Best avoid chocolate and cream.

Don't touch the stuff Deke, it's not worth it. I've been smoke free for just over a year now and I keep telling myself that I can't ruin my smokefree streak. 12 years is really good going, well done.

My mother died from it aged 65, tumour the size of an orange in her lung.

Started Chemo but because of years of smoking her bowl lining was thin so perforated in 3 places, she died within 10 days.

I've never smoked and never will, however I have Sarcoid which apparently only attacks healthy lungs, oh well sh*t happens.

Thanks guys ......   its amazing really .... it just hits you  for a few seconds and you're almost tapping your  pocket to find the packet .  Its back in the box now .  

Miss Norway  ;) ..glad you are off them .... hate to see youngsters smoking  ..keep it up . 

Don't slip back into the old habit but I do know what you mean...................been off them for 7-8 years

I gave up about 30 years ago...used to smoke 20 odd Marlboro a Day!

These new chemical sticks.....apparently there is no legislation or control over what goes into them!

Took granddaughters to local park a couple of weeks ago. Bloke smoking one of these chemical jobbies, fair enough BUT his two kids were also smoking their own. Probably about 12 and 10 years old......what is the world coming to?

It used to be Ravel's Bolero.......

Just saying

I am a heavy smoker I grew up when woodbines and park drive were the leading brands. I remember as kids we use to collect firewood from the local mills, they used wicker skips in those days to transfer weft and the like from department to department. We even cut those up and smoked them.

The strange thing is, I know how much damage my body is taking and yet I still smoke!! Defies all logic.

Defies all logic.
Doesn't.

To stop smoking the first thing you have to do is to want to give it up. (That's what the hypnotherapist said when I went) that must be 7 -8 years ago. I have saved a "fortune" since then too, well worth it.

I have been to one of those, I even tried Zy ban, still pick up a packet of cigarettes because from all my intelligence I am still a numpty.

It takes control I'm afraid ,  I remember going "off the tools"  to do supervising & quoting ,  unwritten rule was no smoking in the office ( before the general ban)  .  The longest I could go was 3 hours  , I was then getting tetchie , irritable & ready to kill .  

as an apprentice many years ago, I worked with many old 70 a day types. 1 of these old guys had packed in, who oddly enough had invented the micro-switch, he used to say he can never a non-smoker again, it's just a long time between fags....

non smokers, like non drinkers and possibly those that have never tried illegal herbs will never appreciate that there is pleasure in these addictions, or how hard it is to pack them in!!

I have not forgotten a Great Uncle of mine who was in WW1

as a cavalry man.  Took shrapnel in his left leg and refused

to have it amputated. 

He wound up on 60 odd per day until he died.  Thing was, it

was not the smoking that did for him. 

It was the gangrene.

used to brew mushroom beer - even the yeast went potty! twas known as beer suprise and half a bottle was enough to make the Eastenders Omnibus on a Sunday afternoon enthralling watching :slap

used to brew mushroom beer - even the yeast went potty! twas known as beer suprise and half a bottle was enough to make the Eastenders Omnibus on a Sunday afternoon enthralling watching :slap
Youre a dark horse Binky :)

Been 6 years off the fags here. And much longer for them things that canoeboy alludes to, that I dont know what hes talking about.

Richard the ninth up there got it spot on, you have to want to give up. When that happens, itll be a piece of cake.

Mmmmmmmm......cake........

I only smoke when people set fire to me... and it has happened!

Its very odd. The most self destructive and pointless habit. Mostly started due to peer pressure or for the 'image' - not much of an image watching someone die slowly with an oxygen cylinder hooked up wherever they go.

In a nanny state and draconian rules abouyt elf and safety, why don't they ban it? you are not allowed to do anything remotely dangerous without a raft of paperwork RAMS etc so why are you allowed to buy a death sentence from any corner shop or supermarket. Defies all logic. I know its about ££££ and tax revenue but eventually the NHS would be able to afford tp look after the people that arent actually purposely killing themselves.