12 Years And It Still Lurks

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tax revenue from tobacco is about 4 times greater than the cost of treating smoking related illness. Without the revenue from tobacco we couldn't afford the NHS.

See the paradox!

(source was a TV documentary a few years ago just before the ban in pubs.)

There about to put up the price of fags again so more money (£20bn/5years) into the government coffers but the question is what will they spend it on? another railway that we don't need? or give it away too some forgotten country with a gas pipe that runs through the middle? :innocent

I'm a smoker & I don't like it... switched to e cig, I smoke less as I feel stupid with one hopefully soon I can quit  :pray

:coat

The tax revenue from tobacco is about 4 times greater than the cost of treating smoking related illness.
I just KNEW someone would come in and make this observation.  Think of all those

valiant folks up and down the land, laying down their lives in order to keep the NHS

in funds.  When these people go in and ask for treatment, they should be given

the executive treatment.

default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

Except none of it goes towards the NHS.

Like none of the Road Tax goes towards the roads.
It goes into the treasury central fund and is dished out. The principal stands - the money feeds into the pot and is then fed back out.

Tax revenue from tobacco in 2012/13 amounted to £12.3 billion – £9.7 billion in excise duty plus £2.6 billion in VAT.

NHS is expected to cost the taxpayer £110 billion this year. More than 10% of the entire budget is potentially collected via duty on smoking. Take that away and you need to find an extra ~£80 per capita or more than double that per taxpayer.

That is why they don't want to stop it. I'm not even allowing for the shorter life expectancy and less pressure on pension pots.

You disagree that duty on tobacco swells the treasury's pot? You disagree that if that £12 billion of revenue was lost it would not need to be made up elsewhere?

bit like duty on beer and wine - pays for a lot of stuff!! Surprised thay haven't legalised cannabis so they can tax that aswell.  Heard some figures about one of the American states that has just done that and raised $millions in months.

Well...that's it for the week.................................

Just go home now, do the housework and.........

...............enjoy.............a.................cigar........... :needdrink:

BUT and a big BUT;  like Clinton I NEVER inhaled.