12v appliance from mains?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_i_c

Reaction score
Hi,

i have a 3 pin cup warmer which works from the mains :)

so i wanted to buy another one - but they don't sell them in the uk any more

:(

but i found the same thing as a 12volt car appliance and bought a 'mains converter plug' for it. when i plugged the plug uinto the mains a led light came on - fine - then i plugged the cup warmer into the converter plug and something in the plug exploded sending out sparks ... and the led light went out :-|

how can i get this 12v appliance to work please - if i fitted a standard 2 or 3 pin plug on it, would it first need to go through a mains adapter?

thanks

Ric

2020_1.JPG

using these elements for controlled heating of liquids - not using them to boil a cuppa - any other advice re small elements or thermostats greatly appreciated! - thanks :)

lol i thought you were keeping ur cup warm while working .. now i understand you want the element on a cord to warm something up.

i will have another look. lol.

7b14_1.JPG

24 volt 1 here

but cant see any mains 1`s

lol i thought you were keeping ur cup warm while working .. now i understand you want the element on a cord to warm something up. i will have another look. lol.

7b14_1.JPG

24 volt 1 here

but cant see any mains 1`s
no worries - i should have explained exactly what i use these for - photographic darkroom hobby - but the 3 pin plug / 220v ones aren't about any more (you can still pick them up in the USA ironically with 'European' plug attached

yes, i've got the 12v version of the one pictured - but the separate adapter plug exploded, so i've got an element but nothing to plug it into and don't know how to adapt / fit a new plug unit to the heating appliance, if indeed this is possible anyway?

thanks for your help - much appreciated ;)

Ric

Hi,i have a 3 pin cup warmer which works from the mains :)

so i wanted to buy another one - but they don't sell them in the uk any more

:(

but i found the same thing as a 12volt car appliance and bought a 'mains converter plug' for it. when i plugged the plug uinto the mains a led light came on - fine - then i plugged the cup warmer into the converter plug and something in the plug exploded sending out sparks ... and the led light went out :-|

how can i get this 12v appliance to work please - if i fitted a standard 2 or 3 pin plug on it, would it first need to go through a mains adapter?

thanks

Ric
I think you would need some sort of transformer not just an adaptor. Adaptors generally just change physical connection types, but keep same voltage. Whereas a transformer will change the voltage e.g. 230v to 12v, AC to DC. Which is probably why something exploded. Was your converter plug supposed to be a combined transformer as well? could it have been a faulty product?

Doc H.

Its unlikely you will find a transformer for one of these as they look to be about 200W. I bet your one that you incinerated was about 20W.

Its unlikely you will find a transformer for one of these as they look to be about 200W. I bet your one that you incinerated was about 20W.
I agree, you need a pretty hefty 12volt power supply to run a 200w appliance at 12 volts.

Bear in mind a car battery is capable of delivering enourmous current.

You may be able to use a transfomer designed for running selv lighting but I think your best bet would be to use a fish tank heater as somebody else has suggested.

Alternatively you used to be able to buy heaters designed to warm a bath of ferric chloride solution for making printed circuit boards.

aha! so there is no way to use this appliance from household sources of electricity?

thanks

R

I think you would need some sort of transformer not just an adaptor. Adaptors generally just change physical connection types, but keep same voltage. Whereas a transformer will change the voltage e.g. 230v to 12v, AC to DC. Which is probably why something exploded. Was your converter plug supposed to be a combined transformer as well? could it have been a faulty product?Doc H.
thanks Doc - i have notified the seller. guess i will ask for a refund. the cup boiler i am stuck with, until i have a brew up in the car i suppose? :|

Hello Ric welcome to the forum. Surely it would be easier to buy a kettle.Batty
for the volumes of water i need an urn would be more the mark; but to keep bottled chemicals at a constant temperature, standing them in a tub of warmed water is the best thing: that's why i use the cup warmers: o brother do i wish i'd stocked up on these while they were about :eek:

never mind

:^O

No problem maybe we could have a new sub forum of members photo's!

Clean ones we do have younger members on here Like me. ]:)

I had a spate where I thought I was a photographer, just like I did when I did water colour painting, but I always buy the most expensive then give up the hobby when I got bored.

I have about