15th to 17th?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAMOOK

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to re-enter the industry after a short sabbatical, 23 years!!! I qualified to the yellow 15th edition and wondered if I had to take the full 17th edition course 2380-10, or the update 2380-20? I have ordered my red book and OSG and several cd's to prepare myself and will shortly be hunkering down to some serious study.

Kind regards,

Dave.

Hi all,

I'm about to re-enter the industry after a short sabbatical, 23 years!!! I qualified to the yellow 15th edition and wondered if I had to take the full 17th edition course 2380-10, or the update 2380-20? I have ordered my red book and OSG and several cd's to prepare myself and will shortly be hunkering down to some serious study.

Kind regards,

Dave.

Hi all,I'm about to re-enter the industry after a short sabbatical, 23 years!!! I qualified to the yellow 15th edition and wondered if I had to take the full 17th edition course 2380-10, or the update 2380-20? I have ordered my red book and OSG and several cd's to prepare myself and will shortly be hunkering down to some serious study.

Kind regards,

Dave.
Full course, as some sparks with the 16th have take the full course depending upon when they got their 16th

Hi all,I'm about to re-enter the industry after a short sabbatical, 23 years!!! I qualified to the yellow 15th edition and wondered if I had to take the full 17th edition course 2380-10, or the update 2380-20? I have ordered my red book and OSG and several cd's to prepare myself and will shortly be hunkering down to some serious study.

Kind regards,

Dave.
Full course, as some sparks with the 16th have take the full course depending upon when they got their 16th

Full course mate, i was in the same situation as you, did mine to the 15th in 89-92. Got in touch with the college, and they said do it again. Glad i did though, but its not cheap around

Full course mate, i was in the same situation as you, did mine to the 15th in 89-92. Got in touch with the college, and they said do it again. Glad i did though, but its not cheap around

So Mamook,

.....What the hell have you been doing for the past 23 years then ???

So Mamook,

.....What the hell have you been doing for the past 23 years then ???

Hi MAMOOK. Get youself a copy of the BS7671:2008 regs book and study the parts 1-7 and the 15 appendices. You will have a very good idea of it all when you are done. I think the exam is 60 questions over 2hrs multiple choice on the computer. It will all come flooding back to you I'm sure..

Hi MAMOOK. Get youself a copy of the BS7671:2008 regs book and study the parts 1-7 and the 15 appendices. You will have a very good idea of it all when you are done. I think the exam is 60 questions over 2hrs multiple choice on the computer. It will all come flooding back to you I'm sure..

all you will actually need to do is the full exam, not a whole new course,

the full exam would involve, for me at least and I jumped from 15th to 17th(although working all the time!), a 3day course followed by the exam at the end.

if you read the book thoroughly it should come back to you(as said) and it is open book so shouldnt present you with any major issues.

mine cost about

all you will actually need to do is the full exam, not a whole new course,

the full exam would involve, for me at least and I jumped from 15th to 17th(although working all the time!), a 3day course followed by the exam at the end.

if you read the book thoroughly it should come back to you(as said) and it is open book so shouldnt present you with any major issues.

mine cost about

Hi Again.

I have been in the fire service for the past 23 years.

As for the rip off, I can see both angles. I started on

Hi Again.

I have been in the fire service for the past 23 years.

As for the rip off, I can see both angles. I started on

It's not the apprentice years that count so much, it's the fact you hold a qualification that states your an Electrician. Don't get me wrong, those years as an apprentice were the perfect route of making a Good Electrician, where you were gaining experience, and i dare say doing a fair bit of the electricians work in the process!!!

You don't forget that sort of ground work, unlike these 5 day wonder course's, they seem to promoting these days... As others have stated here,

Go the easiest route possible to get your 17th credentials.

These days it seems that wherever there is a money angle, there in there!!! So every time a few Regs change, they insist on sparks being compliant thru training certs, so they want training fees again....

Once you have your 17th, they will still insist on you taking the inspection and testing course, or you won't be able to self certify, ...So more fee's!!! Seems to be just a money-go-round back in the UK now. ....It never used to be this way, but it dammed well is now from what i can see.....

As Steptoe has said you only need to take the 17th edition as your allready more than qualified.

Regardless of the last time you put it to use.