17Th Edition Meters Aarghh

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braineebird

Reaction score
ok well I started with a di log 9083p. it was a bit cheap in comparison to others and so I wasn't too surprised when after 2 years I started getting weird readings. In the end I gave up and spent more money on a kewtech kt64. great meter except 3 years later the main dial has started getting intermittent and the thing is beeping all over the place. I don't mind paying money for a good , reliable meter but the question is, Are there any out there???? is it worth getting the kewtech repaired or am I chucking good money after bad.

any help would be very much appreciated

thanks

Please do not take offence at my question but

have either of them been dropped?

Please do not take offence at my question but

have either of them been dropped?
+1..

also.... are 17th edition meters anything like 17th edition plug sockets or 17th edition lamp holders?

I would guess its either a multifunction meter or a single function meter rather than a "17th edition" meter?

:C

The 9083P is sold as a 17th edition meter.  Basic,

limited in some testing (It cannot test insulation to

1000V) but for a basic instrument it is good enough.

Youll get mixed opinions on here so megger lovers (steps :) )and some fluke lovers. Im personally a megger man. My mft1552 is serving me well after about 5 years still looks brand new. But its never been lent out or goes out of my sight when on site.

Thanks everyone. Neither were dropped and were well looked after. I have read that kewtech have a problem with their dials.

Has anyone any comments on metrel? I think it'll be one of those or a megger. don't know anything about a fluke

The reason they are dubbed 17th edition is the values they compare against for tests like insulation resistance are in accordance with the 17th edition regs and not the 16th edition.

Metrel are spot on, ive used them in the past,

I have an HT5035 [i think], similar to this

and fluke are good,

keep away from Megger like the plague, ;)

if I was buying a new meter tomorrow I think Id be looking at one of these

not heard of martindale or amprobe. quite a price difference! what is the issue with the megger?

Robin singles for me 15 years old and still going strong had 1 set of new leads this year

The 9083P is sold as a 17th edition meter.  Basic,

limited in some testing (It cannot test insulation to

1000V) but for a basic instrument it is good enough.
Technician,

There is no requirement for 1kV testing under BS7671, and this is what installations in the UK are designed & constructed to, so there is no requirement for 1kV IR testing.

So, why the issue with the lack of 1kV testing?

Yes I have it on my MFT, and yes I use it, but, one has to be VERY careful on what, and how it is used, because it can create faults...

I guess the trouble is everyone has their favourite and there is no definitive answer. Oh well I've tried the di log and kewtech so I might just as well take a chance on another brand and hope for the best. it'll probably come down to cost again but I think i'll look at megger, metrel or fluke. thanks for all the input

have seen this http://www.test-meter.co.uk/products/17th-edition-test-equipment/multifunction-testers/metrel-mi3000-easi-plus-multifunction-tester/

seems an amazing price and seems to do everything it should. reviews are good too

Have you contacted our sponsor here, Megger Mark?

He knows his test equipment very well & would be in a very good place to advise you what you "need" rather than what he wants to sell, which is a service he gives to forum members here.

+ 100 to MM, sorted me out with a Fluke 1654 summat the other week at a price which was hard to believe!

@steps...........had stand up argument with a prannock of the first water Architect the other day.  He insisted that  415v 3ph ccts were tested at 1000v as they had to be tested at twice the voltage so nearest was 1000v and 500v was just not acceptable.

i in turn told him he was a tw@, and that if he tried strutting his stuff in front of a complete site meeting and attempting to belittle me ever again i would not be responsible for his continued medical care.

If however he was proved correct then i would pay for a meal for him and his troll....if not then he would have to reciprocate.

we had a very nice meal AND AN APOLOGY

I am on my second Fluke 1652 and pleased with it. I have had a lot of testers singles, unitest, megger, dilog 9083p  and will say I think the Fluke have always been the best.

I will say as others have said always give Megger Mark a ring before you buy from elsewhere. He may surprise you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Megger Mark has been very help full to me and has supplied me some stuff at fantastic prizes.(including a multi function tester)

I got the Megger 1730 and it is a fantastic bit of kit. I doubt the megger haters have tried the 1700 series meters which i think are fantastic and a vasty improvement on the 1500 series (which i liked but i can see how a fluke would compare to it).

Megger is a bit like Apple equipment, its amazing but suffers jealousy from those who can not afford one. :innocent

Sidewinder, I made the observation on the meter because

I thought it would be a useful contribution to the discussion.

I also know that testing at these voltages can give rise to

faults.

I did not wish to make it an issue.

I have decided to contact megger mark on advice from users. does anyone have his number???