19th Edition

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mort2376

The devil's in the details, or the dodgy wiring !
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well just had my Napit assessment and according to the field officer the timetable for Amd 3 and 19th is as follows :

September ish 2024 Amd 3 released.
Late 2026 to Mid 2027 19th Edition.

There can't be any more than 3 amendments to any edition apparently hence 19th after this lot of updates.

Amd3 should be a free download and not a new book.

Obviously 19th will be a new book, new onsite guide and new GN3 ! Plus the exam fee.

So prices up at the start of 2026 to cover this expense me feels ! 🤣🤣

considering most amendments are ****** correction corrections, that 3 and new edition rule should be scrapped

Unfortunatly I beleive it is a rule governing British Standards, however I think they used to do a a fresh version of the british standard that didn't co-incide with a new edition number:

16th edition was rreprinted as BS7671:1992 (red cover)
then became BS7671:1992+A1:1994 (green)
then BS7671:1992+A2:1997 (Yellow)
Then Amendment 3 in 2000 (minor- no new cover)

Then in 2001 we got BS7671:2001 (Blue cover - but still 16th edition)
2002 get amdment 1 as BS7671:2001+A1:2002 (Minor no new cover)
2004 it was BS7671:2001+A2:2004 (Brown)
and they didn't do any more before going to 17th in 2008, because that fitted how the IEE wanted to do it, an original book and four updates going Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, Brown and a couple of others in between with no colour change.

But when we were on the 17th, we only got up initail issue (red), amd1 (green), amd2 (no colour change) and amd 3 (yellow) before we jumped to the 18th initially being blue

I'm guessing someone told them they couldn't see what they did with the 16th and reset the standard date while not actually incrementing the number by which everyone refers to it to effectivly cheat the rules on amendments

It used to be I don't know if it is still the case that if alterations by their nature changed the Standard in such a way that you must produce a new edition. What that such a way was I couldn't tell you.
Probably in BS0 the Standard to which other Standards must adhere to.

Given that past amendments have generally had some meat to them the proposed Amd 3 seems a bit limited and looking at it the changes seem a bit late to the party
Solar has been around for a good while now so why hasn't the directional RCD / RCBO issue come to light a number of years ago or is it more problematic when an EV battery is feeding back to the grid or connected property

The fact that they are already conditioning the trade to a nineteenth edition makes me wonder what are they holding back from this latest proposed amendment to have something to warrant a nineteenth addition which will no doubt be out for public consultation in the next 18 months or so

The fact that they are already conditioning the trade to a nineteenth edition makes me wonder what are they holding back from this latest proposed amendment to have something to warrant a nineteenth addition which will no doubt be out for public consultation in the next 18 months or so

those writing the regs need to keep making changes to justify their jobs

Its a joke the whole lot now,just a money making machine
If u look at another way from now on all they have to do is do 3 amendments and then new addition
The ordinary person that is scraping by is really financially hit with all these changes as we have to keep up with all these
Surly a bit of common sense should be used when writing these amendments
Industry is moving to fast and people are fed up with all these changes all the time

I'm glad i have retired ,all these bodies are about making money not better standards of work .This includes :- Select ,SJIB, NICEIC ,IEE.regs etc
Do i see a better standard of workmanship ,in my opinion No .
I Had asked a mature student prior to retiring ,how many amps in a 1KW, when an electric heater battery was being upgraded from 3KW to 6KW.
He said he would have to GOOGLE It.......! FFS
A 23 year old ,with all latest C&G qualifications etc etc .
As they say in Scotland he "Couldn't put a nut in in a monkey's Mouth"
Retired 3 years and loving it !