2.5 spurred from 6.0

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisg1979

Reaction score
On a recent c/u change I found that what had been a 6.0/2.5 cooker circuit has had its switch converted to a 2g sckt and had 3 further points spurred from it in 2.5 (1g sckt, cooker hood fcu and under cupboard lighting fcu).

The circuit was placed on a 20A MCB and deviations noted on test sheet.

Now my QS is claiming that the 2.5 cannot be connected to a 6.0, as if in future the customer wants it to be swapped back to a cooker circuit then the 2.5 would be underrated for a 32A MCB.

My argument is that anyone carrying out such work should be competant to do so and would not connect up the 2.5, or run in a new cooker circuit/feed for the rest. I know its not an ideal scenario but all the wiring is adequately protected as it currently stands.

Just wondered what anyone else's opinion is?

as is, it fully complies as a 20a radial, just wired partly in 6mm

in fact, there are some cases where some of the cable is required to be 4 or 6mm due to insulation, with the rest wired in 2.5.

as for someone changing the breaker, there is nothing to stop anyone changing any breaker and putting the lights in a 32a. maybe he should future proof that and wire the lights in 6mm? or maybe 126mm, just incase someone uses a 63a

My view is that you're right, he's wrong. If someone in the future upgrades the MCB (and that is the issue, what's connected is irrelevant) then they are responsible for checking that the cabling is adequate.

As andy has said you can't future proof an installation in that way

Thats like rewiring a house in 10mm t&e because you heard somebody in ten years time may put the lighting on a 50A mcb by mistake

Any future alteration would have to adhere to the regs so a reasonable competent person wouldn't have inspected what he was altering wouldn't he?

I have done this and labeled the socket and made the required notes as well as everything else on the cert.

Which if this ever landed at your feet, the copy of the cert you have to keep covers your butt

I agree with andy and betty, I would also say your QS needs to get back on the tools for a bit !

Perhaps I should go and buy a full set of child booster seats for my car just in case someone in the future buys it and takes children to school in it. As has been said you do your work based on what the client is asking for now. not what they may or may not do in 2 years time.

Doc H.,

Why not convert the radial sockets to a 2.5mm ring, on the end of the 6mm.

What we termed a "lollipop" circuit some while back. Then you can keep it on a 32A MCB.

Cheers chaps, you are all confirming what I already disputed with him.

I knew him when he was on the tools and (typically) he was one of the worst for cutting corners!

Anyway, I won't be changing anything I've done and stand by my decisions, he can pull out his dusty old kit and do it himself!

As that circuit stands , its safe so whats his problem ?. What may or may not happen in the future by an unknown , possibly not yet born, electrician , who may or may not attend this address and may or may not want to alter this circuit is not your problem .

The guy needs a reality check.

He,s obviously from the same school that tell me I should wire all showers in 10mm in case someone wants to fit a higher rated shower . Well I'mm sorry but it doesn't happen , if someone wants to move the goalposts thats their problem .

As Andy says , perhaps we should wire house lighting in 125mm SWA in case someone wants to run the Villa Park floodlights off it .

I'd contact the NIC and the guy who asseses him, tell him you think the QS is in need of some further assessment and could he pop by.

He was clearly no good as a spark, that's why they promoted him.

I think its those who can do

those who cant, teach

I'm afraid that'll be me putting showers on 10mm, only cause I know that if I ever do 1 in 6mm they'll be on the phone complaining they want a more powerful shower. Murphy's law.

I'm afraid that'll be me putting showers on 10mm, only cause I know that if I ever do 1 in 6mm they'll be on the phone complaining they want a more powerful shower. Murphy's law.
if they want a more powefull shower its a plumber they need:D

however if they insist on electric then the price starts at 6mm:D

Surely anybody wanting the 6mm cable for the cooker would need to disconnect the extra stuff anyway as the cooker really should be on its own circuit and not have the extras.