2 premises one consumer unit and meter?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazooboo

Reaction score
Had an interesting request for a quote today. Tuned up to meet a tenant who was going to rent office space above a shop. Asked to see the CU and meter. And the agent said that it is shared with tenant in the shop. So the two tenants have to agreed how to split up the cost of the bill. The agent said this is a very common practice. I've never come across it before. CU with the old fashioned re-wireable fuses. If they go for a 17th CU how do they split the cost or even convince the other tenant to upgrade. I've a feeling this tenant may be moving into a can of worms. Any one else come across this arrangement?

If there both tenants would the landlord not foot the bill?

Are the circuits shared aswell? If not and the other tenant refuse to pay for CU then you could just put upstairs circuits into a new board, leaving downstairs in old board. Not ideal though

I get this a lot on houses converted [badly] into two flats. Its a real pain as the LL doesn't want the cost of a rewire. I put them as unsatsifactory code 2, no safe means of isolation apart from the fact the poor so an so who can't get into the downstairs flat to reset a trip!

Dunx

I totally see your point , Dazabooboo, but we can only advise, let them thrash it out , then come back to you to put it right.

On the face of it the upstairs tenant may be paying for most of the shop's leckie , but as I keep saying, we are not The Electric Police .

also note that there is some law or other which states the landlord cannot make a profit from selling electric to the flat. i.e he can only charge per unit what it costs. different for the shop though

No Andy it is not it is still illegal to make a profit on selling electricity on to businesses!

I can't remember the law it may be ESQCR?

I was told that to sell electricity for profit you have to be registered as an electricity supplier.

That's why a lot of holiday parks and the like include electricity in the ground rent/maintenance charge and not as a seperate item.