20KVA generator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
I got a call yesterday from one of those annoying customers, the type who thinks he's your mate and should get everything done cheaply. Apparently his 20KVA diesel generator "wasn't well" and would I have a look at it. "it's coughing and spluttering with an occasional bit of smoke, might need a service" he told me on the 'phone. Now he was a mechanic, so why doesn't he service the engine himself, it's not difficult, but oh no he wants to drag me out on a 35 mile round trip have me there for ages and bung me 20 quid and a few drinks, after all I am his mate right ? Wrong!

Anyway  I think on my feet and tell him that generators are not really my thing but not to worry, I have a mate who's good with those things, good but not cheap. He asks if I can get him down so I ring him and arrange to pick him up and take him over, we  soon establish that the alternator is well roasted and needs replacing. at this point he asks how much and I casually say "oh probably at least £500 for a rewind" he gets this shocked look on his face, wanders off and comes back 5 minutes later, "if you can get it off, there's a guy who'll drop me a new one off on Monday" we strip it out and pack up, "pay you when you've finished ok?" he asks, my mate agrees. I can't wait until we go back and rebuild it, but I think I'll sit in the motor when my mate bills him, I hate seeing grown men cry, and I still think this guy imagines it's going to be a 20 quid and a few beers job.lol