24 way dist board full of RCBOs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaun1234

Reaction score
I have just started to connect a 24 way dist board and am getting in a pickle with all the neutral coil's, iv kept it tidy all the way down but end up in a nest at the bottom!! its gona be a night mare tryna connect the non RCBO circuits to the neutral bar!

i know u shouldnt cut them down but what is every 1 else doing in this situation?? it seems the only way!!photo.jpg

here's a pic so u can c where am at with it

You're not wrong about the mess.

TBH I'd connect them up and then double back the neutrals in the loom to tidy them up if the manufacturers instructions don't allow you to cut them,,, if you can cut them then I'd uses feurriles

Why should you not cut them down?Is this in the makers instructions?
i read an earlier thread that said it was, some 1 rang up 1 of the makers i think it was mk n they said straighten them out by all means but cutting down is a big no no

no to be fair we did talk bout it at at work n come to the conclusion it would prob just void the warranty!! n yeah thats y i put it on here really to c what every 1s opinion was on it

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:02 ----------

cheers lads will give square D a ring tomoz n c what they advise:^O

This business about voiding the warranty if you cut the plug off a wash machine or shorten the leads on an RCBO is nonsense. Urban myth. You're a competent person and it's a legitimate thing to do.

+1 to cut to length and fit bootlace ferrules.

If the instructions are daft enough to say do not cut, they deserve being ignored. My guess is they are concerned about you cutting off any existing ferrules and not replacing them. I can't see from the picture, what's on the ends as supplied?

I have just started to connect a 24 way dist board and am getting in a pickle with all the neutral coil's, iv kept it tidy all the way down but end up in a nest at the bottom!! its gona be a night mare tryna connect the non RCBO circuits to the neutral bar! i know u shouldnt cut them down but what is every 1 else doing in this situation?? it seems the only way!!
Why????

i read an earlier thread that said it was, some 1 rang up 1 of the makers i think it was mk n they said straighten them out by all means but cutting down is a big no no
The blind leading the blind comes to mind! headbang

cheers pal never thought of checking there!
GOLDEN RULE NO#1....

Read the instructions that come with the device.....

What do your actual instructions say, that is where you will find the applicable manufactures instructions surely??

Not here-say or off internet forums...

When you add on the physical length of the circuit that the RCBO is supplying..

clearly length has nowt to do with the functionality providing Zs & Volt drop are good....

:C

I seem to think it was just like a soldered end but am not sure it could have just been the stranded cable striped, the earth def had a crimp on it!

GOLDEN RULE NO#1....

Read the instructions that come with the device.....

point well taken ha

I seem to think it was just like a soldered end but am not sure it could have just been the stranded cable striped, the earth def had a crimp on it!
Back in the day we were told to cut off 'soldered ends' as they were subject to something called [i think] "cold creep" and connections could become slack as a Wizards sleeve. That was after the previous 'back in the day back in the day' when we fitted thousands of plug tops when the appliance flex came with soldered ends!!! [Yes, I know, the pedants amongst us will say, naur nurh nurh they arn't plug tops they are plugs, a plug top is the top of a plug...please do not confuse me with somebody who gives a frick! Plug tops, green sleeve, fuse boards, electric board, earth wire, Pyro...]....... :coat