27 yr old just qualified seeks work in cornwall.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEFFREY PETER DILLON

Reaction score
Hi,

I have achieved the following qualifications:

EAL VRQ Level 2 certificate for domestic electrical installers

City and Guilds 2382 Level 3 - 17th Edition

City and Guilds 2392 Level 2 - Certificate in fundamental, inspection, testing

and initial verification.

In addition to the above I have recently undertaken and passed my ECS

exam.

Currently working towards the following qualifications:

City and Guilds 2391 Level 3 - Certificate in inspection, testing and

certification of electrical installations

City and Guilds 2377 Level 3 - Certificate for the inspection and testing of

electrical equipment.

Now urgently seeking a position to obtain valuable experience in the trade

and therefore obtain the remaining qualifications as detailed above.

Ideally a trainee electrician or electrician's mate role would be the best

suited to me in view of a complete change of career.

things are a bit slow at the mo, but for future ref. where abouts in cornwall are you and do you have transport.

Macca

I am incredibly frustrated that i have had my electrical qualifications for 14 months now and got no electrical job after all my efforts and financial outlay. It seems that companies want a quick fix ie an experienced person or someone on an apprenticeship scheme.As i fall into the middle category after going for a change of career it seems that i am out of favour in this current climate. :(

I am incredibly frustrated that i have had my electrical qualifications for 14 months now and got no electrical job after all my efforts and financial outlay. It seems that companies want a quick fix ie an experienced person or someone on an apprenticeship scheme.As i fall into the middle category after going for a change of career it seems that i am out of favour in this current climate. :(
Welcome to the forum, unfortunately your situation just confirms the experiences of many of our forum members. Despite claims by many training organisations about 1000's of vacant electricians jobs, the reality is many places are cutting back, downsizing and reducing staff levels. I fear with the current round of government cuts, especially canceling of many public service building projects, things will get worse before they get better. All I can say is keep trying and don't give up. May I ask, did you do your electrical qualifications though a traditional college or one of these private intense short training courses?

Doc H.

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately its the old story you need experience to get the work but people don't want to give you the experience don't give up and keep trying at it.

Well i live in st.austell and i don't expect to get top money straight away as i need the experience. Im just loooking for a foot in the door in a company so i can do the job on a daily basis to gain the experience and u only get that by doing it.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:52 ----------

Thanx for the post and i do understand it is a very difficult time for companies.Im just looking for a break to get into a company so i can do the job on a regular basis so i can gain the experience. I did a private course where i did studying at home then went away a week at a time to do my practical work.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:58 ----------

Thanx for the post. Yeah that is what i am finding out with alot of the jobs. I will keep going for it!

Have you tried Waldons and for the rest of the forum members St Austell is in Cornwall

Have you tried Waldons and for the rest of the forum members St Austell is in Cornwall
And there I was thinking it was in County Kildare back in the old country. :worship

Well i have had my electrical qualifications for nearly 2 years now and have had 1 job interview in that time! I did one of those self funded training courses led to believe this will open up a new career path for me. However the reality is very different! If anyone out there considering one of these courses i would personally think long and hard about it as its alot of money,time and effort for little reward. Im not knocking these type of courses as they are well run but don't think you are going to walk into a job as its just not like that! Companies either want school leavers for apprenticeships or what i am finding most common they want at least 2 years work experience. As im in that middle category i seem to have little chance of success! How do u get experience by doing the job but you need a opportunity to gain that! I feel totally let down, disillusioned and frustrated with the whole situation!

what courses/exams have you got?

the short courses were only designed for electricians with previous experience but no formal qualifications, not people who know nothing to suddenly become a sparky. if this is the case, then its no surprise your struggling. the only people who win in this case is the training company

As Doc has said, the truth is that there are more people taking short courses to be an Electrician than any other course.

97,000 people every 12 months take various C&G Electrical Installation courses it is a massive scam, the pay and charge out rates are plummeting and the claims of earning big money are inaccurate and misleading.

The Government or come to that ANY political party is NOT going to do anything about it, they just want GDP/Growth they do not care and do not see what is wrong with the situation, because they have the same or worse values than the people selling the fantasy.

If you were to take a Hairdressing Level 2 course it is 2 years and then another year for Level 3 full time.

One of the real problems is that "The Industry" that claims to speak on behalf of "Our Trade" to government (DCLG) only has their interests at heart.

DCLG openly admits that it does not have a clue if what the Schemes tell them is true or not, maybe we should bypass them and go direct to our MP's. As they are also being ignored just like the Public, and totally undemocratic.

Well thanx for that really positive response andy! I take it you haven't heard of people having a change of career before! If u see what qualifications i do have you would then thou that you got to have some practical knowledge to go with the theory! But i don't have enough work experience for alot of jobs! So if that is all you got to say don't bother next time!
may not be what you wanted to hear, but its the truth.