3 Ph Generator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liggo

Reaction score
Hi All

I have been asked to install a large 3 Phase generator to run a 200hp motor. The generator unit will be outside a large barn,suppyling the plant inside. He wants also to use the existing supply to the barn, to run other equipment.

I have told him that this would not be acceptable and would have to run everything of the same supply ie: all plant machinary.

Looks like I will have fit a 3ph Dis board to run all this gear which will be only feed by the generator.

Any thoughts on this would be apprieciated.

Hi there,

You can have a room with equipment that is fed from separate supplies - there are regs to cover this. Eg warning signs, isolation, earthing, seperation, etc.

It is possible, you just need to know what you are doing and apply the relevant regs.

D.

Hi

I understand what you mean about signage etc, will have to do some homework.

Cheers for that.

Stuart

200hp motor outside a barn what sort of farm is this,

yours benji

A guy is renting the barn to make compressed pellets for wood burners, not very eco if you need to run a bloody big generator is it.

I think he needs to talk to the DNO.

I set up something similar at a recycling plant recently,it was two 500kw shredders running off two 750kva generator sets.

Make sure they are WELL BONDED and you have a GOOD path to earth via your rods,if you have a PLC running your plant then you may be wise to supply that from the mains,i found this out the hard way by having to fit a new one,especially if you have an invertor fitted to any motors,the harmonics are all over the place.

Davun