3 phase motor issues

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkayelectrical

Reaction score
Ok guys the story

Go called to a job they where having issues with a machine with a motor not working which I tested and found it was burnt out

while there there was another company working on the control panel which I thought was weird and I asked why they didn't do it and was told they don't do motors they where attempting to install some sort of cut off switch for when another machine is empty it cuts off

I got a call back when saying it was cutting off when clicking into delta so went back and find that delta seemed to be cutting out. I try swapping phases round in the motor incase it's it's a directional problem but from what I am work out it seems to be due the modifications on the panel that had been done forge cut out.

I get a email week later saying the other company has found that a contactor in the panel had gone for some thing and they will be replacing it

Got another email the other day saying the fault was all due to the motor being wired incorrectly (all though I tried swapping phases around (prior to the other company going back)

Is the buck being passed to me do you think?

And to confirm me evening haveing a star or delta crossed wouldn't cause any issues (delta looking its power after a few seconds)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was made at 13:46 ----------

Sorry guys also noticed a few typo/ autocorrect errors on first post should still make abit of sense

1) It worked, they changed something, it did not work.

2) You went, tried to fix...still not working

3) They get called back and 'find something' and it still does not work and blame you

........see 1) IMHO a can is being passed and although I am in no way cynical I think that they Bulloksed up the motor before you got there, panicked, thought 'we don't do motors'....lets blame the new boy................. :coat

When you tested it what did you find ?

Windings not the same, open, dead short, bearings ?

Did you just disconnect the motor or did you do anything on the panel to the

contactors.

Tested old motor was a dead short they got a new motor connected it worked on star kicks into delta and cutted off tyres swapping phase as incase it was direction problem

Main issue I was thinking is the other company trying to fit a cut off for when a machine its empty the other one turns off (one I changed the motor)

Just seems weird never had any issues regarding 3 phase motors

And sent a photo on the new and old one and the phases where connected different bit I did try as per the old one,

Isn't like much can be connected wrong on them worse that can happen is it goes backwards which wouldn't of mattered on this machine as just spins a basher

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 15:21 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:47 ----------

I have emailed this link to the customer hopefully should clear some issues up with them.

I don't do much with motors as I don't get a lot off call for it but I do know if you wire a star delta motor wrong it will go bang maybe that is what has happened. But as for whose fault it is that will be a hard one to prove.

1s an 2 here 100% correct to be honest I think the panel was abit dodgy as when the old motor went it didn't even pop the thermal cut out,