3 way lighting nightmare

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is not Loop in the centre of the Rose Special?, pendant connected on the outermost two positions? ?:|
Your lamp looks a bit dodgey Specs. I wouldn't switch that on. ]:)

It is good to see we do actually have a professional looking drawings available, Thank you Daryl, very good illustration. p.s. No disrespect to anyone's hand drawn or computer drawn diagrams.Doc H.
That's good - Because you don't want to go upsetting our Specs, Doc. He turns green when he gets angry - and his Tee shirt goes tight, before being ripped off by his muscles. :eek:

Sorry i didnlt explain it explain it properly friday and all .

I have no problem with 3way lighting. i'S JUST That this one puzzled .

i have added a drawing hope that helps.

3way lighting.jpg

Sorry i didnlt explain it explain it properly friday and all .I have no problem with 3way lighting. i'S JUST That this one puzzled .

i have added a drawing hope that helps.
Actually I think you did explain it ok..

because the concept of what you have drawn is as I stated in my earlier post...

Why do you say you want the intermediate at switch 1 position?is that because switch positions 2 and 3 are both double gang switches?

and switch 1 is a single gang switch?.....

.....To put the intermediate at position 1 you would need a fourth conductor between position 1 and 2,

because the intermediate switch uses two pairs of two conductors!
switch numbers may be ar5e about face but concept the same.

so IF intermediate at single gang:

You either need another conductor between switches single & double gang switches.

or bring light wires down to middle double gang switch.

Or you need to change middle double gang switch for a grid-type switch..

one half intermediate & one half normal.

:| :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that is one of the options you need to do:(

Basic concept I always look at is..

The intermediate switch has four connections.. Two pairs of two..

So there are either:-

Pairs going to switches either side if intermediate is in the middle of some other switches.

OR

Four wires all coming back to the next switch if the intermediate is at the end of a line.

:|

I wish I could show you a diagram to explain in easier terms, but I am not that computer literate

Oh boy ! Thats great that I'm not the only computer dumbo.

I can post photos now but how do you post a wiring diagram ?

I wish I could show you a diagram to explain in easier terms, but I am not that computer literateOh boy ! Thats great that I'm not the only computer dumbo.

I can post photos now but how do you post a wiring diagram ?
Sandra - 2 options

1. draw with a pen. scan it, save to computer, import into photobucket and post like a pic

or

2. draw on computer, save on computer, import to photobucket tec......