30Ma S Type Rcd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you find one let me know,

I tried in vain to find one a few years ago, looked for months,

just gave up in the end and explained it would be pot luck what went first,

nothing else i could think of practical really.

EDIT,

as to what I actually done,

timed a whole load of RCDs and picked the slowest one and the fastest one,

probably of absolutely no use to you whatsoever though. 

:C

Seen that suggested elsewhere!

I don't think they exist, as I don't think that the requirement for a 30mA is met by a TD, S type unit?

batty,

Not sure about Protek kit TBH!

However, it does seem they do them.

Do they do a full range of boards & breakers etc. also?

Remembering that the clients I have, have strict specs, so I would need to get the kit "passed" by them.

Noz,

Thanks, I could not find these on the MK site!

Canoe,

I must confess I have a mare with anything on the Siemens site, I find it so hard to negotiate, but, it was the add on type that I thought would be the most likely after the Schneider..

I went for the Schnieder "vigi" first, but could not find a 30mA S type.

Not sure never used protek think its CEF stuff. I know MK don't do them they are 100mA TD. Really don't think there is a lot of call for them.

batty,

I "thought" that Protek was CEF, until I checked your link, and did some checks it seems "Proteus" is CEF, "Protek" is not is seems.

Also my preferred wholesaler is a to order distributor, which is OK.

Thanks.

I was always under the impression that you could not get a 30ma s type rcd.  As 30ma is for shock protection so there should be no delay.  I remember asking about this at college & that is what i was told.

Mcb would be 63A 10kA Canoe

Soulman, that is one of my concerns also in looking into this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
batty,

Not sure about Protek kit TBH!

However, it does seem they do them.

Do they do a full range of boards & breakers etc. also?

Remembering that the clients I have, have strict specs, so I would need to get the kit "passed" by them.

Noz,

Thanks, I could not find these on the MK site!

Canoe,

I must confess I have a mare with anything on the Siemens site, I find it so hard to negotiate, but, it was the add on type that I thought would be the most likely after the Schneider..

I went for the Schnieder "vigi" first, but could not find a 30mA S type.
Seems it's a big NO from Merlin technical on this with this, I'm guessing, simplistic comment, I asked my Schneider supplier and this came back:

"Time delay and 30ma is not allowed under reg’s, as it’s for protection of personal and must be instantaneous"

Out of interest under what circumstances would you use it?

Cheers

Canoeboy said:
Siemens do them - Have asked for a price on a 2P and 3P unit

They do not do an S type as these are only 100,300mA etc as per above posts

They do a Super Selective K (30mA) type which is a time delayed (in essence exactly the same as an S type) and has a 10mS delay - ignore any faults on switch on

They are a Type A and I have used them in the past for 30mA protection of inverters where there is an EMC filter (they aint cheap though  :innocent )
Sounds similar then to the Merlin/Schneider Multi 9 "si" type? I use these for exactly the same issue i.e. on inverters:

http://www.schneider-electric.com/products/ww/en/1600-din-rail-modular-devices/1655-multi-9-modular-devices/906-id-rccb/

They do selective versions too as in the one will trip nearest to the fault.

My supplier just got back with a quote on these Merlin "SI" RCDs:

100A, 2P, 30mA - £115-00 each +VAT,

100A, 4P, 30mA - £196-00 each +VAT,

Plus a tenner carriage and 15 working days as from France I think.

I was thinking, "How much?" and "....."...........has he forgotten my discount?" (still to double check on that) but just looked back on old invoices and I paid £77.11+VAT ea for two 40A, 4P, 30mA ones in 2004 then £82.60+VAT for a single, the same in 2005.

Don't use them often but they have saved loads of grief when I had inverter issues.

Cheers

Canoeboy said:
Im not familiar with Schneider but are you sure the SI range is a time delayed ? 
No, I don't believe it is time delay per se. Think it is selective in that it "ignores" transients etc. I used them to guard against inverters being a bit leaky by nature on startup. I was posting up on the back of your post #17 where you mentioned using selective units with inverters if I read that right? Not 100% sure what the OP wants the RCD for tbh but wondered if the SI would assist. Cheers.