Heat source pump dryer tripping the rcd.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for everyone’s help. I’ve tried the dryer in multiple circuits and the rcd still goes pop every 10/20 mins. Sounds like the culprit is the dryer, but it’s strange as it’s the second one we’ve had. I wonder whether the fact that’s it’s a heat source pump affects the load on the circuit?

Apologies for not responding sooner I have 3 jobs and a family!! 😂

Professional help is on its way it’s just a busy time of year.

Actual loads are pretty much irrelevant when investigating RCD tripping problems..
As it is leakage not excessive loads that are being detected...

The very small amounts of leakage that RCD have to detect are 30ma AKA 0.03amps
which can be around 7watts of load (e.g. could be as much as a single LED lamp).

it may well be the RCD is failing, they don't last forever, and Marbo is not a quality make. With multiple trippings they can become over sensitive, which really doesn't help. I also have a heat pump tumble drier, but have had no issues with it. However, I also have a full RCBO board as per Special's suggestion above. I used to get nuisance tripping every Xmas morning, which is about the only time my wife ever used the second oven on our cooker. In short, ovens not in use can get a bit of damp around the heating elements, which lead to xmas mornings being rather stressful! Like yourself I used to have a single RCD shared across multiple circuits, Xmas has been very peaceful since converting my board to RCBOs :)