A £350 Cu Upgrade

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a CU change all booked in for a couple of weeks, new bonding needed to both GAS and water(the other side of the house from the board, run under floorboards so lifting carpet and boards). I quoted the customer £450

2 days before I was meant to do the job the customer rang me to say that some-one had quoted her £120 and so thought my price seemed "VERY EXPENSIVE" and I lost the job. How are us proper sparks that actually do the job as it should be meant to get any work with such cowboys out there?
That's just bonkers.

£120 for the job, take off £50 for the cheapest CU, leaves £70 for the labour. Even for a cowboy job that's going to be a p1ss poor hourly rate.

I'll bet she won't get any bonding done for that, and no certificates.  But hey it will (might) look nice and she will be happy.

Let's hope the place is riddled with borrowed neutrals, N-E faults, IR faults etc to make him earn his low wage.

Do let us know if you ever get called back to sort out the mess, and do take your camera if you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's just bonkers.

£120 for the job, take off £50 for the cheapest CU, leaves £70 for the labour. Even for a cowboy job that's going to be a p1ss poor hourly rate.

I'll bet she won't get any bonding done for that, and no certificates.  But hey it will (might) look nice and she will be happy.

Let's hope the place is riddled with borrowed neutrals, N-E faults, IR faults etc to make him earn his low wage.

Do let us know if you ever get called back to sort out the mess, and do take your camera if you do.
They'd probably just leave the faults and bypass the RCDs as someone had posted up some pictures of recently!

Maybe they are just hoping you will say you will do it a bit cheaper. Personally once I have priced a job that's it if I am to expensive they can look elsewhere.

My mate I used to work with would only ever knock a fiver off the bill and if they tried negotiating, he would give them his card and teel em to call him when the job needed redoing and it would probably be twice as much - he got most jobs.

Didn't know Russ Andrews did CU upgrades.......
Yes but, the remaining 3036 is the offer doofer version with the cry- or- genitally frozen beryllium toss trade screws. When aligned in a W_N orientation the electrons flow faster so negating the use of any paperwork. DO NOT be confused by the sellers who will align them. N_W. as we all know the problems that can cause .

Also the use of our white over sheathed nanowank cable is infinitely superior to the approved BASEC version, we have our own 'in shed'. testing facility where we PERSONALLY apply the stickers at a price to please

Maybe they are just hoping you will say you will do it a bit cheaper. Personally once I have priced a job that's it if I am to expensive they can look elsewhere.
same here

there is one company near me who ive done odd bits of work for about 3-4 years. few years ago they asked for a price for a PIR. never heard anything back. almost 2 years later (just the other week), got an email from them asking for a price for a PIR since insurance co wants it done. gave them a price only to get an email later saying A N Other has priced about 15% cheaper and would i do it for less.

over the years they have been on the phone last minute for something urgent, and ive re-arranged other work to try and help them out (as i do with most regulars for urgent work). wonder how long it will be before they phone - "so all your power is off? i should have time to fit it in a week on tuesday"

Latest posts