A letter for a customer.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Have a read through guys any pointers & guidance will be gratefuly received.

This is a letter for a customer of mine (they are not the sharpest tools in the box) who have had before christmas last year a kitchen & bathroom installed by a local company, thay had paid in the region of

Letter looks good all points covered :) Why didn't she call the kitchen company about the fault and get them out?

Letter looks good all points covered :) Why didn't she call the kitchen company about the fault and get them out?
She did but it was late & the bloke refused to come out & said he'd been drinking, this was when the extra money was first mentioned & all relations fell apart.....me being so generous with my time & being in the van on my way home from a job in Southampton when she rang, said I'd drop in on my way past.

For my trouble I got

To be honest I would leave the letter as it is without alteration, there are some faults with its composition but your an electrician and not a writer, this makes the letter more factual and personal. Any legal implications can be sorted between the various lawyers and your letter just goes to prove you tell it as it was in your own words without blame or malice.

Its precise and to the point, if anything I would include the costs of works carried out by you to repair the faults found just so that any one who deals with this case can see that your client is out of pocket because of shoddy works being carried out.

She did but it was late & the bloke refused to come out & said he'd been drinking, this was when the extra money was first mentioned & all relations fell apart.....me being so generous with my time & being in the van on my way home from a job in Southampton when she rang, said I'd drop in on my way past.For my trouble I got

agree with manator about the costs, but otherwise spot on. well done, and good luck. lets us know the outcome.

Hi M107.

well done on sorting the faults

On the subject of the letter for the Solicitors, I think it would be an ideal 1st draft for yourself in recollecting your previous actions at the job, but it is too long winded for the solicitors. What they will require is a concise account of specific points relevant to the matter, they would not be sufficiently techcnically minded to comprehend the in depth details of your account.....Keep it as short as possible with relevant points.I have edited your proposed letter to highlight what the Solicitor will expect to be informed about....further refined editing may still be required ,but here is a rough idea.

KITCHEN ELECTRIC FAULT.

As requested I enclose this letter as a statement of my findings from two out of hours service/fault

finding calls to your property some months ago.

Reason for service call 1;

Called late evening by Mrs * ***** as all the sockets had stopped working.

Mrs ***** asked if I could sort the problem out as the socket circuit also worked the boiler & they were

lacking central heating & hot water.

Actions undertaken on site:

On visiting the property I asked had any other work (building or electrical) been undertaken, Mrs ***** said they had a kitchen fitter in replacing the kitchen cupboards & replacing/moving sockets &

switches.

I undertook relevant testing of the socket circuit . I had a fail on this test.

[iMPORTANT POINT]...HAVING BEING INFORMED MY MRS****** that electrical work had been undertaken by the kitchen fitter I made a visual inspection of the sockets in this area.

To the right of the back door behind an unsecured

kitchen base cupboard,I observed a double socket metal back box that was unsecured to the building fabric &

cables twisted together with a wrap of electrical tape

Mrs ***** said she had pushed the unsecured kitchen base unit to cover the cables as a safety

precaution due to young children in the house & I suspect this caused the inadequately insulated cables to come into contact with the earthed metal back & in doing so tripped the circuit

Actions to rectify fault:

I agreed that I would only undertake a temporary fix just to get the

circuit working over night & that Mrs ***** should contact the kitchen fitter [iMPORTANT POINT] ...and inform him of the situation

I safely terminated the cables -to make safe-.

I also secured the metal back box to the building fabric & fitted a blanking plate.

Comments to Mrs *****:

On leaving I advised Mrs *****

that she should ensure that the work undertaken by the kitchen fitter was tested certificated & registered with local building control as per the requirements of part P of the building regulations.

Reason for service call 2;

Sockets & boiler have stopped working.

Actions undertaken on site:

Isolated circuit & removed fuse spur that supplies the boiler & boiler controls.

Noticed that the feeding cable between the control unit & fused spur was showing signs of over heating this

was causing the protective device at the consumer unit to trip out.

It was also noted there was a small ammount of condensation build up on the accessory face plate the control, unit & cable flex.

Actions to rectify fault:

Replaced heat damaged cable between control unit & fused spur. Cleaned off Di-isoctyl Phthalate residue.

Reset protective device. Tested circuit at fused spur. Issued minor works certificate.

Comments to Mrs *****:

As this was maintenance/fault rectification work notification as part P of the building regulations was not

required, but a minor work certificate would be issued as a record of extent of works undertaken by myself.

Was also informed at this point by Mrs ***** that a gas safe registered engineer had also visited the site

before me & placed a non compliance notice on the boiler/gas works because of it being boxed in by a door. The

non-compliance was down to lack of free air ventilation around the boiler.

I hope this letter explains fully my findings & rectifying actions & that any disputes that may exist

between Mrs ***** & other contractors are resolved amicably.

Yours sincerely

a1spark